Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Missing Graduate

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

We were invited to our nieces High School graduation a 2hour trip from home. Upon arriving at the auditorium we were informed our niece decided not to attend the ceremony and left with her boyfriend another missing graduate for a trip to Florida. No one bothered to call or inform us before we made the trip that they skipped out. DH is pissed at his sister as she knew 2 days prior. We found out from a young woman graduating that day and a friend of our niece that they had left the state. Anyone have a similiar experience being invited to a function only to find the individual you are supposed to see are not even there?

by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
8chickens
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I forgot to add there were other young couples from the class who also decided to go on a trip vs the ceremony. So others may have or not been in the same boat. I'm sure their were others that did not get a cancellation notice.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all my kid wouldn't have skipped graduation unless they wanted their bags packed on the porch when they returned from FL.  The ceremony is as much for the parents as it is for the grads.  Also my kids wouldn't have had money to go to FL that young either and wouldn't have even tried to plan such a trip. 

I would be pissed you were not informed.  Super pissed.  We live out of state and don't attend any graduations because it is too far. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Id be pissed to.  But not at your niece.... at your sil.

That has got to be one of the rudest things I have heard in a long time.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM

hope you at least got a meal and I would take gift back home just forget to give it 

lisa12121
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

You deserved to be informed. Period. I would say something to the parents that they should have informed you and that you are upset. They need to know or these hurt feelings will fester.

Beachdeprived
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Never had a similar experience but I would be beyond pissed. Actually I have never heard of high school grads skipping out like this but perhaps I don't get out of enough. Sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...i.e. your SIL and niece. Both should have known people were coming and that is was totally rude! So you wasted your gas and your time and got dressed up and got kids read to go, etc... and then niece was even't going to be there. I would tell her she could drive the 2 hours to see you if she wants her gift. UGH!! Sorry this happened!

8chickens
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM

DH removed the cash from the card and threw out the card. He was and is so mad.

Memere60
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Wow, that is so wrong. Glad you didn't give her the gift. She didn't deserve it. By the way, she is old enough, that SHE could have called or even texted you that she wouldn't be there. Could have saved you the trip.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM
I would have done the same!

Quoting 8chickens:

DH removed the cash from the card and threw out the card. He was and is so mad.

nurse1997
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM

No but I would be fuming it is as simple as that !!! Guess u know were the kid gets it from !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)