Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Creative Discipline Ideas

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM
  • 4 Replies
So...my DS is 15 now. He is a great kid 90% of the time. But lately he has started pushing boundaries by talking back and being disrespectful. I tell him he is being disrespectful and he argues with me, claiming he doesn't know what he did wrong. I have tried to explain it to him over and over, but now im fed up. I think he is just playing dumb and he really knows what he is doing, he just wants to see how long he can get away with it. What can I do as a TEACHING punishment whenever he decides to be disrespectful? He is now starting to display this behavior at school (at the end of the darn schoolyear, no less) What can I do?
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Don't argue.  Find his vice and take it away or don't let him do anything.  He knows what he is doing?  He is feeding you a line of crap.  Gotta be consistant with whatever you do and let him know you are in charge, not him. 

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

The only thing you can do is NOT argue with him and give him a discipline measure EVERY TIME.  Don't let him get away with it because your friends are visiting or you're at the store.  I know it's not the social norm or even acceptable in today's society but whenever I talked back or got disrespectful my mom popped me in the mouth.  I don't suggest it, but it was an immediate discipline measure and I learned quick.

awbredux
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

My mom never hit me in the face, thank goodness, but she did pop me on the rear a few times, which usually got my attention!  But, no, I don't recommend either, esp. for a 15 yo.   I don't know if this will work as well at his age, but my husband, who is better than I am at coming up with creative punishments (which is probably one reason he's never swatted either daughter on the rear!), has sometimes required a one-page essay on the infraction.   E.g., one had to write "Why I should not tell Mommy to shut up."   It's more than busy work.  It makes them think about what they've done and take some responsibility for their own actions.  It doesn't make them into perfect angels, but what punishment does?   But it seems to make a difference in the long run.   

Spirit.heart
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM

My son does the same thing. We call him "Counselor" because we think he'd be a great lawyer. I took away the Xbox last month and I haven't seen him so emotional about anything in years. He cried. Now I know where the sweet spot is. 

Taking away the computer is useless. He has to do "homework" on it and most of the school assignments are on the school website. Even I get distracted when I'm on the computer...wait I'm at work right now, look what I'm doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)