Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

AP US HISTORY ,please need advice for my daughter.:)

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hello everyone.Thank you for taking time to read my post.This fall,my daughter choose AP US history,it's pretty challenging,right?my daughter has good grade(3.8),she likes history but she hesitates about taking AP US history.She thinks she will fail because it 's hard.Do you have any advice for us?do you have any kids who has experience with this class?thank you again.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheMommyTaxi
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM

AP Classes in general are harder than nonaccelerated classes.  They move at a faster pace and the student has to be more "self reliant" that is why the get college credit for them, they are more "college like".  The material isn't harder, per sec, it's more about the pace and keeping the individual student encouraged to complete the work on their own, in the prescribed timeline.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM

My dd was going to take it but then decided against it.  Her friend who isn't a 3.8 gpa got an A and a 5 on the AP test so I guess you never know.  The neighbor kid got a B  and a  4 and was a 3.4 gpa.  It is a lot of work and they suggested getting an AP study book and studying it a month before the test. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

My daughter just had it this school year. She did not really want to take it either but her teacher recommended her to be in that class. She past, I think you just have to keep up with the assignment just like any other class, it's more about pushing yourself. During the summer the schools (out here anyway) usually give the AP course students work/reading that they have to do over the summer to complete that counts as part of your grade for when school starts back up. I don't know if where you are the schools do that.

Wishing your daughter good luck.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

As far as I know most AP classes have things you have to do over the summer.  AP has nationwide standards so every school needs to comply and do the same things.  One neighbor had to do a paper every week for AP Spanish in the summer.

Quoting natural_s:

My daughter just had it this school year. She did not really want to take it either but her teacher recommended her to be in that class. She past, I think you just have to keep up with the assignment just like any other class, it's more about pushing yourself. During the summer the schools (out here anyway) usually give the AP course students work/reading that they have to do over the summer to complete that counts as part of your grade for when school starts back up. I don't know if where you are the schools do that.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Oh ok. This is my oldest daughter so this was my first time experiencing AP course so was not sure if all schools had summer work or was just certain states did that, lol.

Thanks for explaining that.

Quoting atlmom2:

As far as I know most AP classes have things you have to do over the summer.  AP has nationwide standards so every school needs to comply and do the same things.  One neighbor had to do a paper every week for AP Spanish in the summer.

Quoting natural_s:

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM

My oldest took all the AP's he could in HS and I don't recall him ever having summer work.

There are a couple of schools of thought regarding the choice. One is that colleges love rigor and it would be in her best interest to take the hardest courses offered. It's oft said that they'd rather see a less than perfect GPA that took the hardest classes than a 4+ that skated by.

The other side might say that unless the teacher is amazing and makes history the most fascinating subject ever, then she might not want to take it if it's not a subject she cares much about. In college admissions it's sometimes found that the means don't always justify the ends. It might be best to enjoy high school as much as possible and take classes both because they fulfill a requirement AND because you like them.

AP History is reading, reading and more reading. Then some writing. Then a lot more reading. If she likes to read, she'll be fine. LOL

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:38 AM

My son's enrolled in AP European History next year. Surprisingly, there is no summer assignment. I'm a bit worried about the amount of essay writing the syllabus says to expect, but I think he'll find the reading very interesting.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I loved my AP history classes 30 some years ago. My dd took them, struggled and did well. Ds took AP Euro this year and barely passed. I refused to pay for the exam, the id won't do the homework. I yanked him out of AP US history next year and he is mad, but I won't have another year like this one. She will be fine as long as she does the reading.
Msgme
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM

My dd is about to take AP us history as well as a few other AP classes.  She actually hates history with a passion but alwyays does well.  she enjoys alot of writing and from we know of she will have to write a ton. She just got all  of her summer assignments and he history one is going to be extreme the book she has to read is 700 pages. Then write a paper. She jokes that with allt  he work she has to do this summer it will be more work over the summer than she's had in the last 2 years of high school.

teensrmyworld
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Ap classes are only harder because they require a lot more homework. The subject matter is the same. If you have the option to take the history class at the college level through running start, your child will actually be challenged and get college credit for her efforts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN