Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Saying Hello and need some advice - concerned mom with teen :-\

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello My Name is Donna. I have a 16 year old wonderful young man. He attends a vocational school and is in the 10th grade. He is not very active in sports these days but was when he was younger. He is a good kid although I worry about him sometimes as most of us moms do with our children. He tends to spend a lot of time in his room lately and kind of keeps to himself. A lot of people are telling me this is normal for his age but it does worry me. I am a single mom and have been doing it on my own since he was 4. It is tough at times but I wouldn't change it for anything. I really need some advice on the whole "teenage" thing. It worries me and I want to know that this is sometihng that other parents have gone through with their teens. I know as a teen I was never home but then again I did have some friends who just wanted to be left to themselves. I am happy to be here with you all !! have a nice day

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Kinda normal but you have to make sure he does things and gets out and doesn't just retreat all the time.  I was like you and my girls were.  NEVER home or had someone over to our house. 

mominri
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

He does go out time to time and does things with his friends and I am always on him about " is everything ok"  as i don't want any kind of depression setting in ( he hates when I am always asking him about this).  he acts like his normal self just likes being in his room.  His friends do come over also but  it is just a change as he use to be out a lot more. Thanks for your feedback atlmom2  

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Completely normal.
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

He sounds quite normal to me. When I was a teenager my dad said my bedroom was my ivory tower, and I could and did spend all day in it quite a lot.

lisa12121
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi. As a mom of two teen boys, let me tell you that your son is perfectly normal. We noticed an almost complete separation from us starting at around 13. Even when we had meals, my son would stand and eat near the sink. He wouldn't even sit in the room to watch TV with us, he would stand in the kitchen or go to his room. What your son is going through is normal. Completely. It is a little devastating, but normal. Our oldest still won't sit with us in the den (he prefers to be in his room), but at least he now goes out to dinner or to movies with us (didn't do either for three years). Best of luck. My thought process is, as long as you know where he is and what he is doing, then that is fine. They could be out running the streets.

masonmom3
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I hardly ever see my 18 or almost 13 year olds. they are either gone or in their rooms.

mominri
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Thank you all so much.  Your words are reassuring.  He does spend time out in the living room with on certain ocassions and will go out to eat so I guess I have to take what I can get.  And yes lisa12121 I do to also have that thought process, at least I know where he is and what he is doing.   Thank you all. I am glad to be here with you all!!

pot_of_flowers

san33
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM
I think it depends on the kid. My oldest son was always on top of me. To the point I was concerned. Then my second son is in his room constantly. He comes down for meals, school work, and rides. Other than that we never see him. He still carries on a conversation if we go to him. Night and day difference between the two. My youngest just depends on his mood. He would rather be with his friends or online but he will settle for us. LOL! Just have faith that you know your son and figure out what is normal for him.
butzi
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I read this a day or so ago and decided to think it over, then saw it again just now. I am not sure what it is you're concerned about. Is it that he hangs around the house? Stays in his room? Or something else?
mominri
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I was just wondering if this is something that other mothers find.  Has nothing to do with him hanging around the house.  I wanted to see if there were signs of him disengagin etc to make sure it was not turning into some kind of depression.  I am finding it is just really typical of a teenager these days.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN