Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Has anyone heard of Natonal Society of High School Scholars?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm trying to determine if its actually worth the $60 membership fee. According to the information i got with her invitation its invite only and she had to meet the requirements which she does in order to be invited.  She gets these types of letters all the time from different places its hard to tell if its just a scam or if its worth the $60. this is one of the few that will waive the fee if you can show financial hardship which says maybe its not all about the $$.

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Just looking around their website; eight Nobel Laureates on the board of directors, along with Elon Musk. Pretty high powered folks. And they have a lot of corporate scholarships and it look slike some discount programs for educational companies like Princeton Review. The State Dept. and the CIA are among the corporate sponsors, alonng with Major League Baseball. That last makes me think they're legit; MLB would be on them in a heartbeat for improper use of their logo and name.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Just looking around their website; eight Nobel Laureates on the board of directors, along with Elon Musk. Pretty high powered folks. And they have a lot of corporate scholarships and it look slike some discount programs for educational companies like Princeton Review. The State Dept. and the CIA are among the corporate sponsors, alonng with Major League Baseball. That last makes me think they're legit; MLB would be on them in a heartbeat for improper use of their logo and name.

From some of the reviews i've looked at some liked it alot and were all for it and some were like ah not really worth it. Didnt find any that said scam so thats good.  I just don't want to waste $60

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Dh said he got asked to do many of those things.  They just want money.  It is not worth it. I am sure she is probably in National Honor Society and that is all that really matters.  These other ones do not matter at all. 

stephs5isenough
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM

My daughter just got the same invite yesterday and my husband and I are a bit skeptical  as well. .....................  It does look like a good thing.  Like your daughter, our daughter gets similar things often.  What makes us skeptical is that we have never heard of these people.  We definitely want to find out more before we act.

Click my tag to follow me to:

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM

My daughter got that yesterday too!  I will keep checking back to see if anyone has experience with the organization and thinks it is worth it.

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I don't think it's a scam per se in the sense that it actually exists and seems to give out some scholarships. However, I would not say it's an entirely ethical organzation.

My oldest got a few of these things but we did not participate.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I agree.  You are really paying for next to nothing and colleges won't care about you having something like this on your application.

Quoting Maime13:

I don't think it's a scam per se in the sense that it actually exists and seems to give out some scholarships. However, I would not say it's an entirely ethical organzation.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:57 PM

It is not technically a scam, but an organization that rakes in big money and gives out very few scholarships.  Almost anyone with a decent GPA can join for $60. 

We didn't participate. 

squeekers
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

does your local news have a website deal where they have submissions and discuss if they are real or scam.

woodswalker
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I agree.  You are really paying for next to nothing and colleges won't care about you having something like this on your application.

Quoting Maime13:

This.  The free school NHL is really all that matters .     I wouldn't pay for any special memberships.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN