Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Instagram for a 7th/8th grader

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is instagram good for girls in 7th and 8th grade? What are some guidelines that should be used and why?

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Maime13
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:19 PM

My 3rd son is 13 (turning 14 in August,) an incoming Freshman. He has an Instagram that he created this year and even used it for part of his end of the year project to document their project period. The only restriction I have is that I follow his account. That way I can see what he is doing and get a sense of his activity.

I know that kids can get in trouble with following strangers or vice versa and that there can be some inappropriate stuff on there, but we try to keep communication open. He does not however, have a FB or any other social media account.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM

This, just monitor the account just like facebook.

Quoting Maime13:

My 3rd son is 13 (turning 14 in August,) an incoming Freshman. He has an Instagram that he created this year and even used it for part of his end of the year project to document their project period. The only restriction I have is that I follow his account. That way I can see what he is doing and get a sense of his activity.

I know that kids can get in trouble with following strangers or vice versa and that there can be some inappropriate stuff on there, but we try to keep communication open. He does not however, have a FB or any other social media account.

Beachdeprived
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Gosh, I know kids in 4th grade who have instagram... my DD is going into 8th and she has had her account for a couple years. I check it periodically... basically they just post pictures and then people can comment on it. It's rather harmless as long as the pictures are suitable or the kids don't post pics on purpose to make other kids jealous (like look at me... I took all my friends to the pool and you weren't invited...type pic). I think a majority of kids have accounts these days.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I think it honestly depends on the person and who they are, how they behave, and just generally how nice they are considering a lot of shit goes down on instagram. My daughter has instagram but she was an adult when she got it - so I have not monitored it or anything. I tried to check it out - but it's set on private. That's the other thing - make her set it to private so that not just any random person can see it.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:59 AM

My two oldest have it.  My almost 15YO is a huge social media user while my 17YO, not so much.  My husband and I both follow them, and a couple of years ago I made my 15YO delete about 200 of her followers, because she'd allowed people she didn't know to follow her in an effort to get quickly to 1000 followers.  Almost 2 years later she still isn't at 1000 because she is much more careful about who she confirms.  She doesn't want to have to go through that hassle again.  So just make sure your child knows you will be following what they are doing on social media and that they need to be safe and never confirm friends or followers that they don't personally know.

My 9YO doesn't have social media yet and I'm holding off for as long as I can...hopefully until she is at least 13.  I have enough to deal with making my older two stay safe online, LOL.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Yes with monitoring.
itsamomblog
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Hell no! I haven't seen that many skanky pics since MySpace got started.  I don't social media is a good place for a child period.

caradelight
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

My daughter has had it since January and it was Ok at first.  But now, she is like addicted to this stuff. She searches and scrolls videos and other users which can sometimes be very inappropriate. I am monitoring her activity but the thing is, you can now send direct messages to people. That is.....photos to whom you choose.. that all your followers can NOT see. So, I decided to log on her profile and check her page once in while.  

Also, some kids at her school created an anonymous profile in which they say mean things about some of the girls at her school.  It was heartbreaking for me to see that kids are bullying each other like that on this social media site. I thought instagram was more of a share photos thing until I saw that and was like wow...it seems like there is so much more to instagram than I thought.  And instagram does absolutely nothing about it. You can report it but they do nothing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN