Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

1 Thing Every Mom of Boys Needs to Know

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM
  • 16 Replies

1 Thing Every Mom of Boys Needs to Know About Caffeine

by Lisa Fogarty

Not so long ago, coffee was strictly an adults-only beverage -- one most kids and teens wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. But thanks to the abundance of super-sweet caffeine drinks, energy drinks, and sodas sold at markets, gas stations, and trendy cafes, more young people are finding it pretty tempting to down 1 or 10 cold and frothy mocha drinks.

We can't blame them -- these drinks taste like dessert and are extremely appealing to young taste buds. But given their popularity and sweetness, it's sometimes easy to forget that the caffeine contained in these treats is bad for our kids' health. And, according to a recent study, the effect of caffeine is even worse for boys.

Researchers have discovered that the amount of caffeine found in just a half to a full can of soda or a cup of coffee is enough to affect children's blood pressure and heart rates -- and that boys' bodies suffer more than girls' after drinking the stimulant.

The study found that in children ages 8 to 9, gender made no difference when it came to how coffee and soda affected them. But when 49 children ages 15 to 17 were examined, boys experienced increased blood pressure compared with the girls.

The findings make a difference -- especially given these stats: 17- and 18-year-olds are reportedly drinking nearly double the amount of coffee than they were 10 years ago. And, although fewer teens are lugging around cans of Pepsi and Coke, experts believe they're replacing them with energy drinks (many of which contain just as much or more caffeine than coffee, in addition to sugar).

Some doctors recommend we treat coffee and energy drinks the way we would cigarettes -- if your teen is under 18, he or she shouldn't drink them.

I grew up in a family in which it was perfectly acceptable to give children a sip or two of espresso here and there. For this reason, I don't regard coffee as evil or anything. But, like the alcoholic beverages that my parents kept in their home, I would never have thought to take out a tin of coffee and whip myself up a frappuccino.

And don't even get me started on energy drinks.

The bottom line is that coffee, soda, and energy drinks are not healthy and should be regarded by adults the way we think of any other product that contains a potentially harmful drug. No matter how successful marketing companies are in making us believe these are family-friendly beverages, it's our job as parents to see past that and limit our children's consumption of these drinks -- or ban them altogether from their diets.

Do you let your children or young teens drink coffee or energy drinks?

by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this
No one here likes energy drinks. My kids have coffee every now and then, but I'm the main coffee drinker. I have somehow raised a mob of herbal tea drinkers. Weirdos.
ladyvamp5489
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

My kids drink coffee every so often, they are adhd and it helps calm them.

mommyidk
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Very rarely do I let my older kids 10 & 12.5 yo drink soda caffeinted or not. Occasionally, I will let my dd (12.5yo) have a homemade frappe or a decaf one frm Mc D's.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:21 AM

My 22yo has had coffee since she was 16. Not obsessively - she's mor eof a tea drinker. Personally if a (late) teen needs a cup of coffee to feel human in the morning - I don't feel I have the right to stop them if *I* do the same. Caffiene is not illegal and can help kids with ADHD feel calm. However if they were smoking or drinking underage I'd have a different opinion simply because it IS illegal and can harm them (i.e kill them)

chrisj4609
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I don't let my kids drink energy drinks. Wouldn't even let them drink Mountain Dew. My 15 year old was on a kick of drinking sips of coffee in the morning but she soon discovered she felt awful after. I have read where some kids are dying drinking energy drinks.
lizlaughlove
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM

This is my household too. My boys love herbal tea, and often drink Sleepy Time tea before bed.

Quoting cybcm: No one here likes energy drinks. My kids have coffee every now and then, but I'm the main coffee drinker. I have somehow raised a mob of herbal tea drinkers. Weirdos.

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM
My kids are not allowed to have caffeine at all.
bluelola
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM

We've never allowed our boys (ages 17 and 12 now) to have energy drinks.  They don't even want to because they have heard the "bad reports."  They do have pop occasionally and once in awhile, an iced cappucino.  Our 17-year-old is old enough to drink coffee, but he doesn't like the taste of it so he just doesn't drink it.  

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 4:28 AM

We have this chain of stores here called T2 that sells all various types of teas, they have all these tables in the middle of the store, one for herbals, one for chai, one for black, one for white and so on with little jars of tea leaves in them.
My 14yr old daughter actually goes around and smells all of them before deciding which one she wants, it's actually quite pretentious the way she does it, "Ooh, there is a hint of bergamot in this one". When she grows up she's going to be one of those people who spit wine, I'll bet my house on it.

Quoting lizlaughlove:

This is my household too. My boys love herbal tea, and often drink Sleepy Time tea before bed.

Quoting cybcm: No one here likes energy drinks. My kids have coffee every now and then, but I'm the main coffee drinker. I have somehow raised a mob of herbal tea drinkers. Weirdos.

ZennMomma
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 5:08 AM
No energy drinks and kids don't get caffeine beverages hardly at all.
I gave up coffee when I got pregnant, but we use half CSF.
DH has started to let SD drink coffee in the morning....sooo bad.
Also, caffeine does not help children with ADHD at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)