Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Son is back from college and is behaving bizarrely

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 7:42 AM
  • 25 Replies

Hi everyone, great to join cafemoms!

So I have an 18 year old son and he's a wonderful young man - he's going to a great uni in Texas but currently he's back home for the summer. I was a little taken aback yesterday when he begged me to accompany him during his physical exam. Since the age of 14, he's insisted that he have his checkups done alone, so it came as a shock to hear him ask me to come in.

In fact, I haven't even seen him naked since the age of 12 or so, and yesterday was the first time in a while! Is it strange that he's suddenly this liberal about it and should I be worried? 

Sometimes I overthink way too much so input is appreciated!

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Yeah, you are over thinking it and can always turn around in the exam room to preserve your modesty and his when the turn and cough part comes. He has transitioned to an adult doctor, now, right?

Maybe the change in docs has him nervous if it's a new one?
Maime13
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Chances are he just really missed you while he was gone and wants subconsciously to be close to you as often and much as possible. Generally Dr's offer patients modest when it comes time for the personal aspect of a physical to you'll be asked to turn around or leave the room for that portion.

I'd just be happy that he wants you around and enjoy getting to "baby" him a bit more. :)

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

It is a little strange he would strip for you naked at the doctors office.  My girls ask me to come but even for physicals our doctor never makes them take their clothes off.  I went with my dd before she went to college but she didn't even take her shirt off, just lifted it some. 

I don't go to the OBGYN with them but ours doesn't do paps or exams till 21. 

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Why does he want you there?  Ask him?  Maybe he is worried about something?  Or maybe he just wants to be accompanied, and not go alone. He won't be naked!  He will have one of those gowns on, at least, and probably more.   Don't worry too much until you know why. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM

From what I read she already went with him and he was naked. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Why does he want you there?  Ask him?  Maybe he is worried about something?  Or maybe he just wants to be accompanied, and not go alone. He won't be naked!  He will have one of those gowns on, at least, and probably more.   Don't worry too much until you know why. 

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Oh, yeah.  For some reason, I mentally edited that to read that he wants her to accompany him, not that she did accompany him already. 

Weird. 

Quoting atlmom2:

From what I read she already went with him and he was naked. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

JessicaRic
by New Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Yeah this happened already haha. My son wasn't completely naked just bottomless when the doctor had to check out his nether regions!

I haven't really spoken to him about it after, and from what you guys are saying it seems perfectly normal.

Always worrying, I am :)
lancet98
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Is this the only bizarre thing he did?   Does he have some irrational fear that something is wrong with his body?  Is he afraid the doctor will harm him and he needs some type of protection?

Please provide some minimal information.

lancet98
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Uh...what?

Quoting Maime13:

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Chances are he just really missed you while he was gone and wants subconsciously to be close to you as often and much as possible. Generally Dr's offer patients modest when it comes time for the personal aspect of a physical to you'll be asked to turn around or leave the room for that portion.

I'd just be happy that he wants you around and enjoy getting to "baby" him a bit more. :)

jamelame
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Maybe he wanted to reassure you that things had grown down there since last time you saw them? XD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)