Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Need Advice with dealing with 16 yr old boy

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM
  • 19 Replies
We are having issues with him telling us what we can or not do. The latest is my husband wants to have a new baby and I'm unsure yet when I wish to start trying. So hubby will make little comments about babies we see and the thought of us having a baby upsets my teen. He says we cant have one till he's 18 and moved out and if we do get pg before he will move out. This really irritates me and hurts my feelings. I don't know why he feels this way. Adbi
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Well, I would say that you are the parents and adults and he has zero say on what you do.  Ask him why he is so upset with you?  Is your husband your 16 yo father???

missourimommy81
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Yes my husband is his father, he just says doesn't like being around little kids. He doesn't want more in the house. My youngest starts kindergarten this year.
Linagma03
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM

First off you are the parent not him. Secondly he is telling you because you let him. I raised 6 kids and NOT one ever had the disrespect to tell me what I could or couldn't do. Is he an only child? 

missourimommy81
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:40 AM
No he is our oldest child
mommyidk
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Maybe he needs some attention. Maybe show more interest in him/his interests.
Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 6:33 AM

How many kids do you have? Is your 16 year old expected to assist in childcare or have responsibilities that include caring for his younger siblings? If so, how often? How extensively?

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know many teens that would jump for joy at having another brother or sister.  Ignore him and don't let him disrespect the 2 of you. 

teensrmyworld
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Of course having a baby upsets your teen.  Teens want and crave full time attention and the addition of a new baby steals that spotlight.  Your household seems to be reacting to what your older child thinks instead of including your son into the discussion about the baby.  Explain to your teen that his opinions are valid, you know that this new addition will be stepping into unknown territory, but that it is also going to happen.  As your pregnancy advances, include your older son in the process.  Take him to the ultrasound appointments, let him help pick out the child's name, toys, furnishings.  Be extra aware of mood swings and ask to talk more about his feelings.  The one thing you should NOT do is wait to have a baby because your teen doesn't want you to!  This gives your teen the message that he is in charge and that is not a place you or even he really wants to be in, so take back your place and step up to the plate.  Best of luck in your pregnancy!

missourimommy81
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM
He has 3 younger siblings, ages 13,7, and 5. We don't ask him to help with them.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You son needs to get over it.  Sounds like he is just being a pain the butt teenager and you should set him straight.

Quoting missourimommy81: He has 3 younger siblings, ages 13,7, and 5. We don't ask him to help with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN