Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Boy's Death From 'Caffeine Overdose' Is a Scary Warning for Parents

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

Boy's Death From 'Caffeine Overdose' Is a Scary Warning for Parents

by Mary Fischer

cemetary

There is some very sad news out of Ohio this week. It has been determined that 18-year-old boy named Logan Stiner died after ingesting a toxic amount of caffeine, which he took in the form of a powder back in May.

He basically overdosed on the powder. It caused him to have a seizure and cardiac arrhythmia, according to Lorain County Coroner Steven Evans. Stiner had been found unresponsive by his brother at his home and was pronounced dead on the scene.

How the boy managed to acquire the powder is unknown, but it can be purchased online and is becoming a popular substance among teenagers. Evans says it is typically mixed with water or soda, and 1/16 of a teaspoon of the powder is equivalent to drinking a can of Mountain Dew or other similar beverage.

I may not be the parent of a teenager yet, but I had no idea that caffeine is available in powder form, as I'm sure most parents are very unaware. But when I did a Google search for "caffeine powder," I was amazed at how many sites popped up selling it, proving just how easy it is for teens to order this dangerous substance.

Of all the things we worry about possibly harming our teenagers, did the thought of caffeine being a danger ever cross your mind?

All parents worry about their children getting involved with drugs and/or alcohol. We constantly remind our teens to be responsible and stay away from illegal substances. But since caffeine is found in plenty of different beverages, teenagers probably do not even realize they are taking in something that could potentially harm them, which makes this stuff even scarier. 

Logan Stiner is described as being a "top student, top athlete, and a great kid," and it's just so sad to think that his life was cut short by something like this. His tragic death should serve as a warning to all parents to talk to their children about the dangers of caffeine powder. Hopefully we don't hear about another teen losing his/her life to something they might not realize is capable of killing them.

Have you ever heard of caffeine powder?

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeful_leslie
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM
How devastating :(
Ive never heard of such a thing.. Thank Youfor sharing! I will definitely be looking into this and kaking it a warning to my babies
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Its been out there a long time that caffeine is a drug.  I rarely drink a drink with caffeine and I am an adult.  I have never heard of caffeine powder. 

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I've never heard of caffeine powder before.

I limit my kids' caffeine intake, and do not drink much of it myself. When I do have it, I drink iced tea. My kids have been told too much is not good for you, but they also know that in some circumstances, a little bit can be good- like when I have some to help get rid of a migraine.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Caffeine powder is the additive form of caffeine, when you drink, say, pepsi, that is what you are drinking, only much more diluted.
It is easily purchased and is commonly used in food manufacturing.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM
I have never heard of caffeine powder. Thank you for sharing.
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM

There is No-Doz, which are caffine tablets.  They say it's equivalent to a cup of coffee, um, I NEVER buzzed like that off of coffee..  I didn't know it came in powdered form

socalgirl204
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Its been out there a long time that caffeine is a drug.  I rarely drink a drink with caffeine and I am an adult.  I have never heard of caffeine powder. 

You are making it sound like caffeine should be illegal, on par with cocaine. There are many drugs we consume daily without thinking about it that alter our mind or bodies. Many states require persons to be over 18 to purchase caffeine in any form:tablets or powders. Although, many states seem not to care or think it's not a big deal.

Quoting cybcm: Caffeine powder is the additive form of caffeine, when you drink, say, pepsi, that is what you are drinking, only much more diluted. It is easily purchased and is commonly used in food manufacturing.
Bullsh**. Caffeine is addictive, plain and simple. Caffeine powder is concetrated caffeine making the effects more noticable, not because its more or less dangerous than any other type of caffeine. The second half of your first sentence is true; the last sentence is partially true, read above.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Quoting socalgirl204:

Quoting atlmom2:

You are making it sound like caffeine should be illegal, on par with cocaine. There are many drugs we consume daily without thinking about it that alter our mind or bodies. Many states require persons to be over 18 to purchase caffeine in any form:tablets or powders. Although, many states seem not to care or think it's not a big deal.

Quoting cybcm: Caffeine powder is the additive form of caffeine, when you drink, say, pepsi, that is what you are drinking, only much more diluted. It is easily purchased and is commonly used in food manufacturing.
Bullsh**. Caffeine is addictive, plain and simple. Caffeine powder is concetrated caffeine making the effects more noticable, not because its more or less dangerous than any other type of caffeine. The second half of your first sentence is true; the last sentence is partially true, read above.

I never said it was like cocaine but it is a drug.  Dh has a headache and would be sick by evening IF he doesn't have caffeine every single morning.  It is addictive for sure.  This powder sounds awful.  I just stay away from it and don't need it. 

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Reading comprehension isn't your thing, is it?

You might want to look up the difference between additive and addictive. Yes it's only a one letter difference, but very different meanings. English is funny like that.

Quoting socalgirl204:

Quoting atlmom2:

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I've never heard of this..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)