Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen Mom Hides Pregnancy From Parents With Heartbreaking Results

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

Teen Mom Hides Pregnancy From Parents With Heartbreaking Results

by Lisa Fogarty

The story you're about to read probably isn't going to shock you because it may sound far too familiar -- and that fact alone says something pretty frightening about our society. A 16-year-old girl from North Carolina reportedly hid her entire pregnancy from her parents, gave birth in her home -- again, under everyone's noses -- and then buried the baby girl in the backyard.

The details of this case are still emerging and some facts, including whether the baby was born alive or not, are unclear. But if your feelings for this teen border on sadness more than anger, you're not alone.

The girl, whose name has not been released, allegedly told her boyfriend and half a dozen friends about the pregnancy. Someone heard two people chatting about how she was planning to have the baby and keep it secret and that person wisely alerted police. But by the time cops arrived at the girl's home, it was too late. And her parents told them they had no idea what they were talking about -- that their teen wasn't pregnant.

In a horrifying twist, the girl's dad called police back to inform them that a baby had been found buried in the yard. The teen was taken to the hospital to be examined. She will likely be charged with concealment of birth and possibly murder -- depending on how the investigation unfolds, police say.

Bring on the questions, like the first: how do you not notice your own child is pregnant? Maybe she hides it well under clothing. But are you expecting us to believe her emotions haven't changed at all during those nine months? Nothing? No sign?

Let's assume she hid this very well. I can't help but feel empathy for her. I can never understand what teens are thinking in cases like these, and then I remember that teens rarely have the ability to make logical choices. She was probably scared out of her mind. A frightened child who doesn't have many life experiences from which to draw isn't in a position to make good decisions for herself -- or anyone else.

It's crucial that we, as parents, keep lines of communication open with our kids and HOPE they turn to us for help when something like this happens.

Do you feel bad for this teen or only see the crime that may have been committed here?

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lonelymoon
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
How sad =(
I make it a point to talk to my kids about things they are doing and they know, with no judgment, they can tell me whatever they need/want.
I just don't see how they could not know. I mean my teen dds need women products.. I guess I would know if they didn't need them anymore and why they didn't.. I stay very much in their business! We are a very close-knit family.
She must've been so scared. My heart breaks for her.
juli84
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM
My aunt tried to hide her 1st pregnancy for 8 months... EVERYONE knew and was waiting for my cousin to be born at Dennys smh

Everyone in my family reached out to her and she played the denial card.. Pretty sad, how can you deny a kicking baby!?
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

This seems to happen way too much.  I see the crime.  I don't feel bad for the girl.  She made a very stupid decision and her parents seem to not be in tune with their kid if she was 9 months along and they didn't figure it out. She could have dropped the baby off at a fire station and left it too. 

Jaide2883
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Really at 16 you can't make logical choices?? Then sure as shit you shouldn't be driving and your curfew should be street lights. I was 16 when I got pregnant. I put on my big girl panties and dealt with my decisions. I became a grown up over night. And I've never regretted it. If she didn't want the baby she had options. But dumping it in a hole and covering it up isn't one. That's disgusting. Quit excusing murder because these girls are teenagers. Everyone has the option to play the victim or to man up and get on with it.
4girlsmum
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
She needs to be charged, no getting out of this one claiming you didnt know any better, my 7 yr old knows better! She was trying to hide her sexual consequences and this baby died because of it! She needs to be punished to the full extent of the law!
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM
I always get stumped as to how you manage to not notice your child is 9 months pregnant.

How on earth do you not notice that?
Jaide2883
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Absentee parents. I bet I could have hidden my pregnancy from my parents if I had tried hard enough. Except the morning sickness that lasted all day for the first 6 months. Even if I had I wouldn't have put a baby in a hole and buried it just so I didn't have to deal with the consequences. Who does this?? What's wrong with these people??

Quoting cybcm: I always get stumped as to how you manage to not notice your child is 9 months pregnant.

How on earth do you not notice that?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)