Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Why not make 19yo get up?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

DH and I are going out of town for a couple of days and his 19 yo son is staying at our house. We are taking our little dog over to DH's mom because he doesn't want to make his son get up and let out of the mornings. Now, she is fine until 9 or 10 even but he stays up all night and sleeps until 4:00. I can't understand why DH puts up with this lazy behavior, and not getting a summer job. I wonder what excuse he gives his mom for her keeping our dog instead of her grandson? SS came and told us his apartment tuition is due in August. It would have been nice if he had been expected to work over the summer and contribute to that instead of just being handed a check, too!

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM
You won 't be home. The dog with have accidents because being told to get up does not " getting up " make if no one is there to roll him out of bed. The dog is in better hands with his mom and everyone knows it.

As for the rest of it, there is not much you can do.... His dad has allowed it this whole time, too late to start wondering why now.
I am sorry though.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM

19 year olds need to be working somewhere.  He sounds lazy and your dh is allowing it.  This could be a child that never grows up. 

suesues
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 7:07 AM

they on do what we allow them to do he should have aleast looked for a job 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Wow! He will be the same in 10 years and be in the same bed in the same room too.
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

As for the working  thats on his dad i guess.   I agree he should be doing something during the summer be it working or volunteering just something. Just for experience at life. 

As for the dog I would be giving it to mom as well. I would want to make sure the dog is being properly taken care of and not letf in the hands of someone i know is that lazy.

Memere60
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I was supporting myself in my own apartment at 19. It cost me $26 a week. My parents had nothing, so all of my siblings took care of themselves. 

I read the other posts, and I think that the dog belongs with hubby's mom, too. 

A lot of employers want to see some work experience too, not just a college degree.

disneymom2two
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I wouldn't subject the dog to him since the he's not going to get up with no one to make him.  No way would that fly in my house.  My son just turned 16 and has an interveiw this week for a summer lifeguarding job.  There's no way in hell he'd be hanging around the house playing games at 19.  

Belovedmoonpixi
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM

well, I wouldn´t want to leave my doggie with that "kid"! Other than that, yes, at 19, he should be contributing. However, if the kid is getting good grades and this up all night -sleep till 4 behaviour is only during the summer, I might also allow it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)