Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Shouldnt the library have the books

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

My dd has several books that she has to read this summer for her summer homework.  The book she has to read for English class I assumed the library would have. I live in nyc I really did expect one of the branches to carry it. So we went to go check and all 11 copies around the city are not available and we would have to put a hold on it. not even an E-copy.  So then we check the book she needs for global.  Which is a very large book. Nope not a single actual copy.  They do have  2 E-copys that are not avaialable.   Okay moving on to the Psycology and Sociolgy books Nope no copies avaialble.  So no choice but to purchase the books she needs.  I found the one for her English class and i purchased an E-copy of it for pretty cheap.  I can purchase an audio copy of the global book but she needs it in some kind of print so I found it on Ebay for more than I was expecting.  I found the Psycology books on Amazon for a decent price so i'm just going to buy them today and hopefull will be delivered soon.  In the  mean time while we are waiting she has 2 text books her teacher gave her that she needs to read.

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shari55
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I live in Chicago and had the same problem for my youngest on summer... On the high side though she read each book more than once.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Quoting Shari55:

I live in Chicago and had the same problem for my youngest on summer... On the high side though she read each book more than once.

I noticed a simiar problem with my younger dd as well.  her teachers gave her a list of books to choose from and she has to choose 2.  All of them were not available.  They did have E-copies  of a few of them tho. which made things easier.

lanceandhailey
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Just now checking for them, when does she start school up again? Ours go back Aug. 15th :(

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Summer just started for us.  We dont' go back to early september. 

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Just now checking for them, when does she start school up again? Ours go back Aug. 15th :(

lanceandhailey
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Oh, very nice!

Quoting Msgme:

Summer just started for us.  We dont' go back to early september. 

Quoting lanceandhailey:

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM

When the teachers give out the summer reading they give it to all the students so if you're not first in line at the library, you're not going to get it any time soon.  Libraries only have a few copies of books.  My kid had a summer reading book that all the libraries were out of AND the book stores.  I had to order it!  And I have a copy around here somewhere.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Thats actually a bit of the problem.  Her English book was assigned to all kids going into Junior year AP English  in her school.  I'm sure it was also assigned by other High schools and we have 500 High schools here. Wtih a book that only has 11 copies.  Her history book they have 2 E-copies.  Its a 700 page book i'm sure who ever was lucky enough to get it is going to hold onto it as long as possible. The psycology books the library doesnt even carry.

Quoting fantasticfour:

When the teachers give out the summer reading they give it to all the students so if you're not first in line at the library, you're not going to get it any time soon.  Libraries only have a few copies of books.  My kid had a summer reading book that all the libraries were out of AND the book stores.  I had to order it!  And I have a copy around here somewhere.

KREX0914
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

http://www.worldcat.com/ for searching what library near you would have it
http://www.chegg.com/ for rentals at a quarter of the purchase price
http://www.half.com/ is the ebay of textbooks and school related materials
Also check your local community college libraries. They have a ton of stuff and are often an underlooked education resource.

Shell89
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

For my kids if it was a book everyone had to read (grade or school) I just found it easier to buy it.That way they could take their time and read it closer to when school starts. My youngest has read many of the same book as my oldest som that was good. The libraries are given a list of what books are being read but even if they buy 10-15 of them and 300 kids need to read it it's luck to get it.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM
I just read your post out to my husband, who is a branch managing librarian, his answer was;

Public libraries rarely hold high school textbooks for two reasons, one, because publishers and editions used vary so greatly from school to school, you wouldn't just require a psychology tectbook, you would require an entire collection of high school psychology textbooks, it's just not practical especially for something that schools require to be purchased.
Two, because textbooks are reprinted often, some yearly, the collection would need to be replaced on a yearly basis, given that the books are purchased by students anyway the loan statistics wouldn't make the money spent on an individual textbook worth it. Libraries get their funding on statistics, every dollar spent on an item should be worth at least 10 loans, if you are buying a $50 textbook then you need that book to make 500 loans in it's year for it to reflect well on your collections management stats and for you to secure the same or more funding for the following year. A book with a one year shelf life that may be only used by say, three schools in the area, where all the students have their own copies anyway, not going to happen, now times that by every publisher by every subject that the library would have to purchase if they had a high school textbook collection.
That said some libraries may purchase a small collection, but they usually only cater to one school, and will be getting a grant from someone, usually a rich parent, to provide that for them.

As for the novel. That happens every year, first come first serve.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)