Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Algebra

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM
  • 3 Replies

Wow, I just found this nationally written article about kids in my county that took Algebra 1B this last semester. I know my son has struggled and many other kids. They spent so much time reviewing for the HSA (state math testing, previously part of the no child left behind stuff) that there was not enough class instruction for regular lessons to match the new common core standards. Now my county is supposed to be one of the top and has been the top, county in education, in the country. But this math stuff has screwed everyone, even the teachers. 28% of middle school students that took Algebra 1B failed their finals,  82% of high school students failed the final exam this semester. So this is mostly 8th and 9th graders.  This is in the whole county.  Obviously there is a problem here. Administrators are simply adding 15 points to students test scores. Now I appreciate this, but my son then still barely gets a D! I plan for him to retake Algebra 1 in 9th grade. Hopefully things will be straightened out by then. But my county is also offering a free 2 week review of the type of stuff that was on the exam so kids can retake it and use the better grade on the report card. Many kids won't be available to retake this though. Too little too late some say. It's ridiculous that this even has happened. Parents have been complaining about their childs struggles for more than this past year. But now I just have to be an advocate for my son and take advantage of whatever I can. I dont think the county school system gave support or instruction to the teachers initially, during this curriculum change. I wonder if there are messes like this in other parts of the country.

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:36 PM

What is Algebra 1B. 

My oldest had algebra 1 in 9th grade.  My youngest had it in 8th grade.  They both got B's and my oldest struggled in math but didn't struggle in 9th grade algebra. 

I know our state is above average in rankings so maybe that is why. 

1kidmomajm
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Algebra 1A is the curriculum for the first semester and 1B is the second semester curriculum. Not pre algebra or algebra 2.

Quoting atlmom2:

What is Algebra 1B. 

My oldest had algebra 1 in 9th grade.  My youngest had it in 8th grade.  They both got B's and my oldest struggled in math but didn't struggle in 9th grade algebra. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, our algebra is algebra 1A and 1B combined in a year.  Mine took the whole year in either 8th or 9th grade and had no issues.  Very sad is kids can't pass it since my dd that struggled with math through school did fine.  She had a great teacher for 8th grade pre algebra and for 9th grade algebra. 

Quoting 1kidmomajm:

Algebra 1A is the curriculum for the first semester and 1B is the second semester curriculum. Not pre algebra or algebra 2.

Quoting atlmom2:

What is Algebra 1B. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)