Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Girl Sends Nude Selfie to Her Dad & Makes Every Mom Cringe

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM
  • 4 Replies

Girl Sends Nude Selfie to Her Dad & Makes Every Mom Cringe

by Lisa Fogarty

This story makes the teen in me (even though I'm so past being a teen) cringe in horror and the mom in me wince in terror. A college student named Nyjah, who posts on Twitter under the moniker @dearfashionn, accidentally texted a nude photo of herself to her DAD instead of to her boyfriend.

Did you just flash back to when you were a reckless college kid? Or, even worse, are you thinking about what your own college or high school kids are up to?? Well, as you might expect, Nyjah's dad did not simply shrug off the mistake and laugh about it like some cool TV dad who knows he has to come to terms with the fact that his baby is all grown up. No, no, this dad texted her back ... again and again and again ... before showing up at her doorstep to, presumably, ground her for life -- if it's even possible to do that to a college kid.

Once she realized her huge mistake, Nyjah, who has gained a whole lot of Twitter and Instagram followers since revealing this happened to her, turned to Twitter to find out if there was any way she could stop the picture from being delivered to her dad.

There wasn't.

The next thing she knew, she began receiving a barrage of angry texts from daddy. There was this one:

And then the one where he dropped the awful "D" word:

Can you blame him?!

I can't say for sure what my husband would do if my daughter accidentally sent him a nude selfie -- probably cry, pretend the wall was her boyfriend, and punch a hole in it? If this text came to me -- assuming my daughter was AT LEAST 18 and in college -- I'd like to think I'd be a cool mom. That I would sit down with her and explain how STUPID it is to send these photos because they then become public property and can be shared over and over again.

I'd print out stories for her to read about other teens who have had their revealing pictures shared and even posted online. I'd hope she would have the sense to understand that something like this could ruin her life. I'd try and remember that technology makes being a young person a very different experience these days.

But yeah, I'd be pretty upset and disappointed -- just like Nyjah's dad. I mean, I'm realistic. I know my children are going to become sexually active one day -- but I certainly don't need a text to prove it!

What's the worst thing your teen ever texted you?

How would you react if this happened to you?

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mjande4
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the father handled it well.  Disappointed is about the only adjective that I can say.  It's stupid to do, but it's disappointing that she thinks so little of herself. 

ETA:  My policy is that I never send anything that I would say or do in person.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I would have been pissed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juli84
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM
I sent an inappropriate text to a friend that ended up being sent to my mom in HS she was livid.. Made me completely axe the friendship
nurse1997
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM

The dad handled it well I think .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN