Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Switch School Teams for my son?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hello Hello! My son is going into 8th grade and there are 2 teams for the 8th grade. (its a small town) We recieved notification that he will be on the Hawks team. All of his buddies are on the Eagles team. He asked if I could call the school and get him switched. While I know bieng on another team is not life threatning, I do want him to be with his friends. (they are good kids). Would it be too much of me to switch him? or should I just leave be and try to teach him its ok?

Thanks

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm confused. These are two teams that represent one public middle school? Are they a JV and Varsity respectively?

NRB206
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Its a small middle school that divides the 8th grade in 2 groups. They are on separate sides of the school with different teaches, different schedules etc.  My son really wants to be on the side his friends will be on. Im trying to teach him this way he will meet new people make more friends. he is not seeing it like that right now.

NRB206
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM

im sorry i wasnt very clear on my question.

KenneMaw
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I have mixed feelings about this.  I know how imkportant my dd's friends are too her but I know that life doesn't always work the way you want to.   Your request for 1 child could cause alot of extra work for the teachers, admin staff, etc....all of this extra work so 1 child could be with his friends.   I think I would just let him be and make new friends.

NRB206
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

In my head, I am actually thinking it would be better. This way less distraction, however, I see his puppy face and it breaks my heart!

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quite possible the school will be making changes before the school year starts, as people move away or enroll their kids in private schools.

I would ask, myself. It costs nothing to ask, and if it's too much trouble they'll tell you.

NRB206
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Good idea, I'll call and see how hard it would be. This way I call Erik my son I at least tried and I come out the good guy! lol.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Time to broaden his horizons and meet new kids. 

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

That is the strangest set up I've heard. What is the size of each "team"? I come from a very small town and I can't imagine having that sort of situation when I was in 8th grade?

Do you have any links that discuss the schools reasoning? Benefits? How do they choose the "teams"? I assume it's not entirely random. Are both "teams" equal in regards to class schedules/teachers/etc?

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Personally I would ask to switch teams.  Especially if he is going to be playing AGAINST his friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN