Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Courageous Young Rape Victim Speaks Out After Pictures of Her Assault Go Viral

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM
  • 4 Replies

Courageous Young Rape Victim Speaks Out After Pictures of Her Assault Go Viral (VIDEO)

by Meredith Gordon

JadaIt’s a gut-wrenching story that is every parent’s worst nightmare. Their teenage daughter goes to a party where she thinks kids are just going to be hanging out. Instead, her drink is spiked, she passes out and wakes up not knowing she’s been sexually assaulted until photos of her naked body are posted online. 

This is exactly what happened to a 16-year-old Houston teen who only figured out she’d been drugged and raped at a party when photos and videos of the assault and her naked body appeared online.  Adding insult to assault, the teen’s peers then mercilessly shared and reposted the photos of the girl’s naked body.

Instead of hiding and feeling ashamed though, the girl, named Jada, gave an interview to KHOU, a local news station, and identified herself as the victim. “There's no point in hiding,” she said. “Everybody has already seen my face and my body, but that's not what I am and who I am.”   And while some her peers continue to share the horrific videos and photos, others have reached out to offer support.  Houston police are quoted as saying they are investigating Jada’s claims.

When I read a story like this, I can’t help but think of my own daughter. Still young, she’s someday going to be old enough to go to parties, and I’ll have to let her. I can only imagine what Jada’s parents went through when learning of their daughter’s plight.  And as if high school isn’t difficult enough, this young girl has to endure being victimized over and over again by peers who somehow see photos of a sexual assault as entertainment.

But what’s amazing about the story is that this girl, who is only 16-years-old, had the confidence not to hide, not to feel ashamed, and to step forward to warn others. Because the truth of the matter is, whomever this predator is that assaulted her, is the one who should be ashamed. And whoever took photos of her being raped, instead of helping her avoid the assault, should be ashamed. And the peers who shared and forwarded and re-posted the photos should be ashamed. But this innocent girl, who didn’t deserve any of this, she has nothing to be ashamed of. Kudos to her for knowing this at such a young age.

Video here

Would you want your child to speak out like this if they were in this situation?

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
hateaway
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Yes, if they feel comfortable and they're doing it for the right reason.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM

HELL YEAH!

Im so impressed by this young lady!  I dont know if it was her idea or her parents but either way she took control back.... I love that!  Horrible thing to have happened, but best response to it that I can think of.

ZoeDude
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM

If she were comfortable,then yeah. But if she weren't ? Then it doesn't matter what I want.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Really really sad this happened.   Who the heck was supposed to be watching these kids?  I mean my dd's had friends over ALL the time in HS.  We checked purses, allowed nothing brought in, walked through the basement all the time checking on them.  Dh was usually in a room on the computer where he could listen in without them really realizing he was there.  I was upstairs monitoring the door and when kids would come upstairs in the kitchen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN