Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My Sophmore son wants to start attending Night School

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am hoping to hear back with another similiar story!   I am the Mother to a very bright 16 year old Son who will be starting his Sophmore Year this fall.  He has mentioned on many occasions that he would really like to go to Night School instead of finishing his last 3 years at the Public High School.  It is not because he is a trouble maker, or because he gets bad grades or so on.  It is because he is just burnt out with School.  He also has moved numerous times over the past 5 years, not sure if that plays a factor at all.   We live in Maine.

I am hoping that I can get some advice/help/suggestions on what to do.  Whether I should look into what the Night School aspect is like, or not. 

Thanks for any help.  Mel

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM

What, exactly, does he have planned to do ALL DAY!?  Unless he is training for a sport or something along those lines, then he should be in school.  He is far too young to be burned out on school.  Nothing good can come of a teenager with idle time on his hands during the day.

nebcutie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM
I do not think it would hurt to look into, find out what it is about and then talk with him on his plans. If he does night school will he hold a part time job durning the day? What does he want to do after school. Does he plan on a certain field and doing more classes to help get into what he wants. These are all things i would do with my dd and go from there.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would seriously be against it.  Like the others said, if he does he needs to be busy during the day doing something.  He shouldn't be burned out at 16.  Does he plan on college?  If so maybe he can finish HS in 3 years and start college early. 

Maime13
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Can he dual study with a local college? It's not cool that he is burnt out already. How long have you lived in your current location? Is there a possibility you'll move again before he could finish high school? Do you think he might be using this strategy to avoid making friendships due to the frequent moving?

scold-01
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I would sit down and have a serious talk with him...Find out whats going on at the school, find out why he feels like hes burnt out, find out if he has had some issues with other students, teachers....Mine son quit school in his 12th yr...said he ws burnt out and couldnt do it anymore...found out later it was an issue with a girl, my son, and the girls boyfriend....

sha_lyn68
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM
What night school would he be attending that isn't a part of public school? Assuming you are talking about night school through the public school system, would he even qualified to attend? Unless he is above the compulsory age to attend public school, it is unlikely he would be able to attend night school except for credit recovery for classes he has failed. Have you considered online school or home schooling?
sha_lyn68
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM
PS... The compulsory age for school attendance in your state is 17
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Would he still get his H.S Diploma in night school?  Or is this like a G.E.D program.  Our local high schools do have a night school program but its mostly for students who failed a class and needto make it up in order to graduate on time.  My dd has looked into maybe adding a night school class to her regular day to double up on a class. They don't allow kids to graduate early here using regular school hours  Being 16 and burnt out after only 1 year of HS is  not good.   but does he have plans on going to college?

tiffsgrandma
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Hmmm why is he 16 and just now going into his 2nd year of high school??Or is it a typo?? Was he ill for a time and missed?? if he is as bright as you say, let him go to night school and get caught up with others his age, because a 16year old is too old to be a sophmore.

mjande4
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM

That's not abnormal. Sophomores either are or turn 16 during the year.

Quoting tiffsgrandma:

Hmmm why is he 16 and just now going into his 2nd year of high school??Or is it a typo?? Was he ill for a time and missed?? if he is as bright as you say, let him go to night school and get caught up with others his age, because a 16year old is too old to be a sophmore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)