Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What should I do about my mother in law?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have 3 children ages 12- 21. My mother in law frequently tells her grand children (she has 8) that when she dies she's going to leave most of her money to my 12 year old son because he was named after her late husband (children's grandfather). My daughter is maned after my mom ( who died when I was a teenager). My mother in law wanted me to name her after her and is still mad after 18 years. She tells me that my daughter is not getting much in her will because I didn't name here after her. I'm worried she's going to cause problems with my children and their cousins. She's 81 years old and I'm about to tell her to take the money and shove it up her ass. She also knows that my husband and I are having extreme financial problems, so she thinks she can do and say whatever she wants because we are desperate.
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Ignore her crazy ass. She is trying to stir the pot to get your attention. When she says it just say that's ok its yours to do as you wish .

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Bump
OvrMyHead
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Ignore, ignore, ignore. For all you know, she can live another 20 years and there will be no inheritance. Pay. I attention to that craziness, tell your kids that no one knows if she even has an inheritance.
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 12:10 AM

What does your HUSBAND tell his mother?

My dad played that game a bit too. Made my brother executor of the will because he didn't trust my husband, and wrote the will so that I couldn't touch what was left to me till I turn 60 (9 years from now).

Thing is, my brother invested the money in REAL ESTATE before the crash. It's all gone. So, meh. No biggie. I've got mom's jewelry and that's what actually means something to me (I'm wearing one of her necklaces right now!)

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM

I would simply tell her, what you do with your money is your business.  I personally don't care and don't wish to entertain conversation about your death.  I just want you to live as long as possible and discussing wills and death make me uncomfortable.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM

does she have a will ? 

Memere60
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I love your attitude. The few things I got from my mother and father (some crosses that hang on the wall, a couple of rosary beads, and the identical crosses that they always wore) mean more to me than any money they could have left me (they didn't have any!). 

Quoting gdiamante:

What does your HUSBAND tell his mother?

My dad played that game a bit too. Made my brother executor of the will because he didn't trust my husband, and wrote the will so that I couldn't touch what was left to me till I turn 60 (9 years from now).

Thing is, my brother invested the money in REAL ESTATE before the crash. It's all gone. So, meh. No biggie. I've got mom's jewelry and that's what actually means something to me (I'm wearing one of her necklaces right now!)

Memere60
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

She sounds like a peach. I'm 61, and I can't believe the crap that older people get away with, just because of their age. If I pulled that, my daughter would be facing off with me. Such as, don't pit your grandchildren against each other! And I would WANT her to say something like that to me. That's not the way you get someone to love you. I feel sorry for your 12 year old.

maybe you SHOULD tell her where she can stick her money (if she even has any).

Maime13
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I'd ignore her and tell my kids to do the same. Chances are that as long as she lives she will use her "wealth" as a tool to manipulate and exert control.

You shouldn't be nice to people because of what they might give you. I'd stress that to my children. If she is unpleasant, no reason to suffer just because there might be a payout.

chrisser1
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Oh wow! That is seriously messed up! I would be pissed! You and your husband need to sit her down and tell her enough is enough already! If she don't stop her immature BS then she will be cut out of your lives instead of her threats of cutting out of the will and etc. sorry about your financial problems but just hang in there and go a day at a time. What she is doing is wrong and y'all need to put her in her place once and for all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)