Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Anyone else sending their first off to college?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 20 Replies

I just wanted to see how everyone is dealing with sending their kids off to college. This is our first going and I don't know whether to be excited for him, or sad and cry. I guess I choose to be both. He won't be far so it is not like I won't ever see him again, but it is a big life change. Last night, he was at overnight orientation and my middle son noted that this is what it will be like with him gone. My daughter just keeps asking to have his room!

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidkrazyinAK
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I sent mine 3 weeks ago, he started classes this week. My house is very different without him, he is my buddy, we watch certain shows together and sit and chat a lot. I miss him already.

My 17 year old has taken his room and his car, but it was expected. My college son will only be out of school twice a year for 3 weeks, so he won't be home much. It's a 3 1/2 hour flight from Alaska to Seattle, so coming home for weekends is out of the question.

Maime13
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Here! My oldest has to be at school August 17th. I am already missing him and he hasn't left!

His 13 year old brother is eyeing his room. I told him that he can sleep in it, but technically it still belongs to the oldest at least this first year. He'll be 10 hours away by car and I don't see us buying any plane tickets, so he'll probably only come over the Christmas holiday.

He went on an international school trip his Jr year and was gone for 18 days. I nearly lost my mind! Of course, he was entirely off the grid for that trip so I can at least console myself in the fact that I can make contact from time to time with him at school.

DH and I were just talking the other day about how strange it's going to be to miss him turning into an adult. Like, literally every time we see him for the next few years he will look and sound different. He will totally *be* a different person each time as he grows intellectually and matures.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I sent my baby 8 hours away 2 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xstitchinmom
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd will be off to college on Aug 18 and it can't come fast enough. She has decided to spend every waking moment with her boyfriend and is constantly gone. When we ask if she would like to hang out with us and bf at home or go somewhere, she makes up an excuse. I already miss her, and I want to see her get a good education. I really thought we would have one last happy summer as a family, instead it has turned into drama from her and tears from momma...
lisa12121
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, you both have children going quite the distance. The orientation people kept saying it is time to let them go and grow up. I have no problem with that, but he was a lot of fun to talk to because we have the same sense of humor and like the same shows. It is going to be so odd. I just texted him that we are coming to get him from overnight orientation in his car (the air is broken in mine) and this is so him, "You might want to clean it up a bit. I left the Velveeta cheese wrapper on the floor." Boys!

Maime13
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM

How far away will your son be from home?  When we started talking about college when he was younger, I had always told him he had to go out of state for college. As he got closer we revised it to at least 5 hours. I'm hoping he'll go to grad school in Chicago. That is a better drive and more of a "destination" then where he is going to be for undergrad.

Quoting lisa12121:

Wow, you both have children going quite the distance. The orientation people kept saying it is time to let them go and grow up. I have no problem with that, but he was a lot of fun to talk to because we have the same sense of humor and like the same shows. It is going to be so odd. I just texted him that we are coming to get him from overnight orientation in his car (the air is broken in mine) and this is so him, "You might want to clean it up a bit. I left the Velveeta cheese wrapper on the floor." Boys!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM

we sent our first off last summer.  some days I was counting down the days till she left because she was being such a pita.... other days I spent the day holding back tears.

my younger daughter 6th grade then and I took her to college, helped her move in, and then left.... the night before we left my younger daughter and I sobbed ourselves to sleep.  but it got easier.  though there were many many nights last fall I could hear my younger one crying because she missed her big sister.

she two planes and half way cross the country from us so we only get to see her a couple times a year.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM
My oldest is a junior in college. I cried about kindergarten but was excited about her starting college. My kids traveled and went away to camps every summer, so it made it easy for us. Some summers they were gone for 8 weeks.
8chickens
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Imagine us mothers who see our sons leave for the military. Not knowing when or if we will see them. College is nothing.

lucky3x
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Definitely puts it in perspective!

Quoting 8chickens:

Imagine us mothers who see our sons leave for the military. Not knowing when or if we will see them. College is nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)