Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

School Routine

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 21 Replies

School is exactly 30 days away from starting! GAh!

What are some of your routines that help the week go by better and easier? My 2 kidds going into 6th and 8th grade stay with grandma from 3:30 to 5:00 until I pick them up after work. I want to start something different this year. Some kind of routine/schedule that would help with homework time. I usually give them some relax time, but I would get so busy with dinner, chores that before I would notice, its 8 and homework and bath haven't been done.

Any ideas or what are your routines that help?

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Homework was always started at least within 30 min of getting home, especially if they were loaded. If they has less than an hour I didn't make them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booscomputer
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

My daughter is in a competitive sport that practices 4 afternoons from 4:00-7:30 every week 1/2 hour away all year.  So, when school starts again, on Sunday she/we prepare containers for all of the lunches and dinners she has at school and the gym for each day so she has a fruit, vegetable and protein at each meal.  It all stacks in rows on the bottom shelf of the bridge so she can just reach in and grab what she needs each morning and then again before she goes to the gym.  It saves so much time and aggravation AND I know she is getting all healthy meals.  She does not like breakfast and neither do I, so I make protein shakes for us with chocolate almond milk and protein powder -- keeps us satisfied until lunch time.  After school, homework gets done on the way to the gym and she does a lot of it during study halls and free time during classes.  She has to be organized because school comes first and her sport goes if her grades drop.  I believe in work first, play second -- her father is the opposite.  Good thing for her she follows my footsteps.  

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM

School starts early for you guys.  Why don't they do their homework at grandma's house?

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I'm at work when my kiddos (10, 11, 15, 16) get home, so I wrote up a schedule for them including snack, chores, homework, free time, etc. They are supposed to check off things on the schedule as they do them so I can see where we are at when I get home. If homework is not done but they have been playing or on the tv, they end up in the kitchen with me finishing it while I make dinner.

We do alternating days for showers/baths, two kids per day as trying to cram too many at once in one day just doesn't work. I let them pick their times - morning or night and they stick to it, if they miss, they wait till their next turn. I'm not waiting up till after my bedtime or getting up extra early to make sure showers are done, lol.

I have the kids pack their own lunches the night before - minus anything fresh I need to make. After dinner, I try to remember to ask if homework is all completed by everyone, and remind them to put it back in their backpacks.

I set up a "mailbox" system for them to put all their papers - permission forms, etc. in when they get home so that I can see it easier than digging through backpacks. I try to remember to ask just in case to make sure all papers are there. We've missed some trips due to forms not getting in on time - free trips, and paid ones, so I'm attempting to be better with the mailboxes.

The schedule on the wall for everyone to see and having spots to check it off make everyone more accountable. I created one on poster board with velcro for the cards that say the chore or whatever. As they do each thing, they pop it off the board and put it in their envelope. That way it's obvious what is & isn't done.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM

We dont have a set routine.  if there are sports that night then homework is after dinner.  If there are no sports then it depends on each kid if they need a bit of a rest or feel up to jumping right into homework.  I guess I have been blessed because I have never really had to hound my kids about doing their homework.  They know how much they have, how long it will take, and are good about getting it done.

NRB206
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

School starts early for you guys.  Why don't they do their homework at grandma's house?

Because Grandma is grandma and any thing goes. She will tell them in a nice sweet grandma way, which isn't authoritative. So essentially it doesnt get done. She thinks they need to rest after a long day! (Yes I know right) frustrated

NRB206
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM

They are very good about getting it done once they know they need to do it, its just the fact that I need to remind them every night.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:27 PM
With sports, band, scouts and clubs, we never had a routine.
arkmomma06
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM
It starts here 30 days from today too.

We don't have a set schedule yet, but we will have to this year.
proudmother5946
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Dd starts school Aug 4. She's taking all honor courses (except math)and has already said she will drop basketball if it becomes too much.
She also has film club. She's a bit of a procrastinator about starting her homework early enough to suit me though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)