Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

New school hours.

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM
  • 23 Replies
Last year my daughter's high school started at 8:30 am and got out at 2pm. Except Wednesday when they got out at 1:15.
This year they start at 7:40 and get out at 2:45, except Wednesday and Friday when they get out at 1:30.
They start school August 4th this year. We go to get her schedule,PE uniform,school shirts etc.tomorrow.
We have to pay for the school bus here. $270 round trip per student, $130 one way. I drive her in the morning and pick her up after work. She likes to stay after school.

What are your school hours like?
Do you have lots of school fees?
Uniforms?
Air conditioning?
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

The high school schedule here is weird. Mondays they have what is called "modified schedule": 9:24am-2:33pm. They go to all six classes that day, for about 40mins each. The rest of the week is "block schedule": 8:34am-2:34pm. The classes are nearly 2 hours each, and they go to odd numbered classes on Tuesday/Thursday and even numbered ones on Wednesday/Friday.

PE uniforms are $25 but I don't buy those; my DD is on varsity cheer so I pay the fees for that. It's about $3000 a year, but some of it is covered by fundraising. It costs $24/yr for PTSA fees for me, DH, and DD. Another $10 in Academic Booster Club fees for me. Plus some other fees I can't think of right now, LOL. Oh, and no school uniforms, thank goodness.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 10 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 6 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 2 years old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 18 years old (niece) 

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:52 PM

When I was in HS, we went 7:35 to 2:45 or something very close to that.

My 3 that are still in K-12 have different hours.

DS15's school is 8:30-2:30. They have $40 a month fees for supplies and various things. I don't really know. It's a small therapeutic school and he recieves a hefty state scholarship that covers tuition. So, I'm satisfied to pay a small amount per month. No uniforms. Yes, A/C. Which is nice because we live in an old, ductless house with no A/C. They have an optional summer sesson that he has been attending 2 weeks on, 1 week off (our choice on how often he attends). Bussing is not offered but I believe I could arrange special services through our public transit. I just drive him in the AM and pick him up in the afternoon.

DS13's school is 8am to 3:20pm. No uniforms, but they do have a dress code. For boys it's collared shirts (no t-shirts, no logos), nice pants (can be jeans but no holes, frayed legs, etc). It's a private school so there is tution. There is no supply fee but there is a fee for each sport. Fees for trips, etc. So, it does sort of add up.Yes, A/C. His school recently started offering bussing for kids in districts too far away to get bussing. There is a fee, so we don't use it. If you choose to drive your children you are reimbursed a small stipend from your home district since they do not offer bussing because of the distance of the private school. So, DH drops him off on the way to work and I get him in the afternoon after I pick up his older brother.

DD12's school is 7:50 to 2:50. It's a Catholic school so they wear uniforms. There is tuition but no other fees really. They do have to wear certain shorts for PE that we must purchase but PE shirts are supplied by the school. Yes, A/C. Our home district offers bussing to her school since it's within city limits. DH drops her off in the morning and she generally rides the bus home. My Mom is here to meet her while I'm picking up her brothers.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Mondays, 8:45 - 2:45. The rest of the week, 7:30 - 2:45. He won't need a new gym uniform this year. We don't get bus service because we live "too close" to the school (2.5 miles as the crow flies, and that's how they determine the service area).  So I take him to school. Last year, his dad was home on medical disability and could pick him up, but he's just gone back to work so now we're working on alternatives. Likely he'll take the transit bus home every day, though it means waiting longer at school at the end of the day; the bus passes the school ten minutes before the final bell and doesn't come by again for an hour. Lousy timing!

proudmother5946
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:04 AM
The Pe uniform is a dry fit shirt and proper length shorts. No booty or short spandex. The school shirts are t shirts with the school logo in 3 different colors.
There's a yearbook fee, sports event fee, id fee.
They don't have lockers at all. They have to tote everything everywhere. No indoor hallways. Everything is in separate units. School was originally built in 1914.
There's 2 main high schools plus a private on the
Island.
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM

I have kids at two different high schools.

The first one is an alternative arts-based school:
7:15am-2:30pm
$600 per year per student for years 7-10, $800 for years 11-12 
No uniforms
Yes airconditioning

The second one is a regular public school
8:30am-3:30pm
No set fees, but it does have a $250 levy, which is optional, but if you don't pay it your child cannot attend camp, excursions and such.
Uniforms, a maroon hoodie or polo, depending on season with the school emblem and black leggings, tracksuit pants or shorts. There is an optional dress but my daughter (and most of the girls) don't have it
Yes airconditioning

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Our high school's hours are 8:15 to 3:25 M thru TH.  On Friday they get out at 2:25 p.m.  There is a technology fee, yearbook fee, and spirit wear fee.  The kids wear athletic shorts and white t-shirts for p.e.  We don't have school uniforms.  The school has A/C.

Beachdeprived
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Wow! I am shocked at how late some of the high schools start. Ours starts at 7:15 which means with traffic and all, the buses pick up the kids around 6:30! It's crazy. I'm so jealous of the ones that start closer to 8. 7:15 is too early for teens. Fact I just read an article about how kids do better with classes that start later when they get to sleep in. My DD is in middle school right now and they start at 8:15.

We do have a/c most definetely! No school uniforms although I think it would be great for public school and not too many misc. fees. We don't pay for bus service. I have never heard of that to be honest. Wow, guess I feel pretty lucky right now!

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The only reason there would be a charge for bus service for DS13 is that the school is private. They have never provided bussing. Just, if you live in a nearby district they are obligated to bus your kids to your school of choice. Our district is outside the limits of that requirement.

So, to help people who live farther north of the school they started offering bussing but at a fee. So, it's really private bussing.

Quoting Beachdeprived:

Wow! I am shocked at how late some of the high schools start. Ours starts at 7:15 which means with traffic and all, the buses pick up the kids around 6:30! It's crazy. I'm so jealous of the ones that start closer to 8. 7:15 is too early for teens. Fact I just read an article about how kids do better with classes that start later when they get to sleep in. My DD is in middle school right now and they start at 8:15.

We do have a/c most definetely! No school uniforms although I think it would be great for public school and not too many misc. fees. We don't pay for bus service. I have never heard of that to be honest. Wow, guess I feel pretty lucky right now!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Mine are out of school but yours seemed to have been short hours. Ours is 7:20 to 2:20. Not sure of fees now. They used to be over $300, without parking permits. That would include sports fee and activity fee. Class fees are usually around $100 or so. Parking permits are $200 a year. Yes, schools here have air conditioning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmother5946
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Just spent about $154.00 on fees. Not including the $12.50 for a sheet of bus tickets. In August I will pay $40 for a school sports physical.
They changed the school shirt logo so I don't know if last year's can be worn also.
Her schedule looks good. All honors courses except math. She's taking 3 years of Japanese. Her only other choices were Spanish or Hawaiian.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN