Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Ban on Sagging Pants Is a Win for Moms Everywhere​

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ban on Sagging Pants Is a Win for Moms Everywhere​

by Maressa Brown

kids with their pants sagging underwear showingAny mom who ever pleaded with her son to pull up his pants and quit flashing everyone his underwear may start wishing she could pack up her family and move to Ocala, Florida! The city council there voted unanimously earlier this week to approve an ordinance that will ban sagging pants. No really! It will officially prohibit anyone on city-owned or leased property (i.e., sidewalks, streets, parks, rec and public transportation facilities, etc.) from wearing pants two inches below their natural waist.

The ordinance will apply to both genders and all races, according to Councilwoman Mary Rich, who has been pushing for this since 2009. And get this -- it's punishable by jail time and a $500 fine. Yeesh.

As harsh as that sounds, this will surely come as a relief to moms with boys whose underwear has been perpetually hanging out!

Talk about validation for moms! The city council actually wants to make a law to enforce something that parents have been trying to do themselves. The local government has parents' backs and want kids to dress and walk around like upstanding citizens of the world. They're setting a standard of decency moms have been shooting for and encouraging their kids to follow for years. Surely, to many parents, it's about time!

As the old adage goes, you should dress for the job you want, not the one you have, right? So not being legally allowed to walk around with your underwear hanging out may actually have a really positive downstream upshot for kids in Ocala. And if other cities are inspired by the passing of this ordinance, perhaps it'll have a wider-sweeping effect -- for moms and kids -- as well.

Do you wish your town would pass a similar ordinance?

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this
That hasn't been a 'style' here for years.

Now, can someone do something about my son's orange skinny jeans that he thinks look great on him?
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Everywhere should be that ban, lol.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Lmbo.

Quoting cybcm: That hasn't been a 'style' here for years. Now, can someone do something about my son's orange skinny jeans that he thinks look great on him?

suesues
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM

who wants to see there underwear 

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Too funny!!!

Quoting cybcm: That hasn't been a 'style' here for years. Now, can someone do something about my son's orange skinny jeans that he thinks look great on him?

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Great, but what I want to know is who will be responsible for paying the $500 fine?  And what kind of prison is a 13 or 15yo going to sit in to do this jail time?

its-a-secret
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully my city will pass that ordinance, and a keep your damn shirt on act as well
lisa12121
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Hate, hate, hate that look. When you see criminals running from a crime scene with a gun in one hand and holding up their pants with the other, you've got to wonder how this look came to be in the first place. Really.

caradelight
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Sounds silly. Its fashion...there are plenty of things I hate that people wear. Not my business. It is a personal choice. Since when did America become a place where govt tells you what you can and can not wear. Seriously people, let's punish criminals not people who wear things we don't like. 

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Im all for a ban. I think it looks ridiculous
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN