Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Driving lessons?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM
  • 38 Replies

So myself and DH were discussing driving lessons for our oldest DD who is 15.  Too soon?   Or maybe I'm just not ready for it.

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maime13
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM

In my state, a teen can get their temporary license at 15.5 and can begin driving instruction at that time.

Whether or not that should actually happen, IMO, varies from teen to teen. My oldest got his temps straight away (e turned 16 his jr year) and started drivers ed a few months after that. Then he got caught up in school and didn't make driving a priority at all. It was rough with his schedule (he pretty much lived at school between academics and sports) vs DH's schedule (because I was a nervous wreck to ride with him) and honestly, I think DS was ambivalent about driving. He was scared behind the wheel.

So, here he is 17.5 now and headed off to college. He decided that he wanted to get his license before he left and he started taking driving more seriously after graduation. He had a lot more free time and felt more comfortable behind the wheel. So, he's been driving daily and did all his "in cars" with the instructor. He finished his classes yesterday and hopes to test in the next week or so.

My second son is currently 15.5. He is ASD and driving just isn't on his rardar at all. I'm not sure when/if he'll get his license.

My third son is turning 14 next month. I fully expect him to be chomping at the bit to drive when the time comes.

momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I was reading up on it.  Seems a learner's permit is 15, along with driver's ed, paperwork and what not. I think we might wait until the spring time so she can mature a bit more.

Crys1981
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I'm in the same boat. My son is 15 and anxious to drive. But this mama isn't quite ready.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Here you have to be 15.5. Mine were 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Check with your states laws.   In mine they cannot get their learners permit til 16.  My son did 30 hours of classroom instruction now we are doing the actual driving. 

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Same here 16. Happens to be that DD will be 16 next week. I am looking forward to having her drive

Quoting woodswalker:

Check with your states laws.   In mine they cannot get their learners permit til 16.  My son did 30 hours of classroom instruction now we are doing the actual driving. 

littlelamb303
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I am in NY and they can't get their permit until age 16.  DD did not get it at 16 as she was not ready.  I do not believe in pushing them, even though they are of age .  Car crashes are the leading cause of death in 16 and 17 yr olds.  DD is 17 now and reluctantly , she got her permit, as she is going to have to commute to college in a year.  I have been taken her out and I am very stressed doing so.  I hate teaching her.  I am a nervous wreck.  We have purchased driving lessons for her, but she still needs a lot more.   I am very worried about her being out on the road.  We live in the busy suburbs and there is a lot of traffic and a lot of crazy drivers.  Young drivers are not experienced enough to deal with them.   I am hoping she gets into driver's ed in the fall at school.

curious644
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM

husband started our son at 13 first at a ranch then around the neighborhood then would let him drive to church with him.  He is 17 now and a great driver.

mopargurl
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM
My dd just got her permit 2 weeks ago, she's 16. I'm the only one that will teach her, both her dad and stepdad refuse lol. She will take drivers ed in the fall also. It's scary!! Being in a car with someone who is learning and you have to tell them how to do things that come second nature to you when you're driving. She's getting there, my hands shake less and less each time
mopargurl
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM
My dd just got her permit 2 weeks ago, she's 16. I'm the only one that will teach her, both her dad and stepdad refuse lol. She will take drivers ed in the fall also. It's scary!! Being in a car with someone who is learning and you have to tell them how to do things that come second nature to you when you're driving. She's getting there, my hands shake less and less each time
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN