Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sons girlfriend

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:37 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have 17 old son who is acting out dropping friends because his girlfriend 18 tells him to cause she lives everywhere with no rules and tells his to defy me what do I do please help
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prdmama1154
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM

What do you mean by "she lives everywhere"?  This is a tough situation.  Here's a bump while I think of what I would do in this situation.

mandirel
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Her mom lets her stay home plus her cousin apartment her brothers she has no rules to follow
8chickens
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Hope this relationship runs it's course. Your son will only act out more if he thinks you are trying to interfere in his relationship. Hopefully one of his friends will say something if he continues to ignore them. She and he are probably sexually active and until she cuts him off etc. he'll follow her every wish to get it.

iwashere
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Sadly, at this age the hoo-ha is a powerful thing. I'd make certain he was using condoms. I'd also stop pushing him, but I would make mention once in a while of his friends. Things like, "oh, hey, I haven't seen Elton for a while, how is he?" Just random, brief comments that make him briefly think of his friends and perhaps miss them.

I would also invite her to dinner once in a while and not ever let on that she is winning or affecting you in any way. Your son is rebelling against you, If you accept her, there is really nothing to rebel against and sooner or later she will be dumped and be that crazy ex girlfriend he had when he was 17.

mandirel
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Advice sounds good I will try it thank u

Quoting iwashere:

Sadly, at this age the hoo-ha is a powerful thing. I'd make certain he was using condoms. I'd also stop pushing him, but I would make mention once in a while of his friends. Things like, "oh, hey, I haven't seen Elton for a while, how is he?" Just random, brief comments that make him briefly think of his friends and perhaps miss them.

I would also invite her to dinner once in a while and not ever let on that she is winning or affecting you in any way. Your son is rebelling against you, If you accept her, there is really nothing to rebel against and sooner or later she will be dumped and be that crazy ex girlfriend he had when he was 17.

littlesippycup
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:30 PM

This is excellent advice. I would also seek out some sort of counseling to get additional coping help and direction, preferably getting him to attend as well.

Quoting iwashere:

mandirel
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:54 PM
I need something I tried everything

Quoting littlesippycup:

This is excellent advice. I would also seek out some sort of counseling to get additional coping help and direction, preferably getting him to attend as well.

Quoting iwashere:

askmommy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
No advice as I have the same exact problem. I did welcome her to our home and she refuses to come. I hate that our son would date someone so disrespectful. He is such a different person when he's not around her.

Ceremony
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that interfering will just encourage the relationship.  Inviting her over for dinner is a great idea. Or for coffee . Give her a look at her competition, in a way.

Ceremony
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I might spend time alone with son. Not to talk to him, but listen to him. He needs to know you love him as he goes thru this phase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)