Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen with ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

Wondering if anyone else has a teen with ADHD and Asperger's who also has major anger issues?  He sees a psychiatrist and takes meds but I don't feel that it is enough.  Worried about him.  He's always so remorseful for anything that he has done or said. But I'm afraid he will go to far one day.  I don't want to send my child away.  I love him dearly but I feel as if I am failing him right now.  

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Have you discussed this with the psychiatrist yet? We're only dealing with Aspergers here, and no more anger issues since he was about ten. No meds, just working with his school to teach him how to remove himself from situations where he might melt down. At nearly 15, he's become very good at managing it.

You might check this group out too: http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775

kthomasson
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Our son has RAD which closely mirrors Asperger's.  He has major anger issues and major control issues.  He can be somewhat remorseful after, but a lot of that is a show as to what he THINKS we want him to say or act like.  His bio mother was a severe alcoholic and really neglected him I have a feeling.  It's sad.  We tried a boarding school, but after just one semester he was worse.  He gained tons of weight, his teeth were starting to rot so we brought him back home.

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

My ASD teen is 15 and he has calmed so much over the years we used to deal with tons of outburst, violence, self-destructive behavior, etc. It was a cycle of violence and depression. After years of trying to get help locally, we finally visited a hosptial about an hour away for more specialized care. He started on medication and then it was series of ups and downs finding the right medication and dosages for him and finding the right school setting for him. When I say this has take years, I am not exaggerating.

Last year, we finally found the "perfect" school setting. He was able to stop taking one of his meds and is probably the happiest he has ever been. That is his version of happy, not a stereotypical teen version of happy. But, he is more engaged with his siblings and other people. He is more "laid back" (for lack of a better term) and able to joke around and just generally enjoy things in a way that he never has before.

The road ahead is filled with lots more challenges, but I'd like to think that the violent days are behind us. 

Regarding your DS, he just might not be seeing the right person. Has he seen more than one Dr? Tried different meds? Does he do any cognitive-behavioral therapy? How old is he? Does he act out at school or just at home?
Have you considered hospitalization? We were about a day away from admitting our son, when things were at their darkest. We were able to keep him home, but it helped to know that it a resource if we needed it.

Jenn-99
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM
I feel for you. I have a 13 year old boy with ADHD, he may be on the spectrum, and has mild Tourette's. He is prone to outbursts and meltdowns. We have tried meds but they seem to make his tics worse. Abilify seem to work well for him but it seems lately that the med isn't doing it's job as well so we are looking into a different med. Let me know if you have any questions. And you are NOT failing as a parent:)
Jenn-99
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I'm happy for you that your son got the help he needed. I think it's all in finding the right doctor!

Quoting Maime13:

My ASD teen is 15 and he has calmed so much over the years we used to deal with tons of outburst, violence, self-destructive behavior, etc. It was a cycle of violence and depression. After years of trying to get help locally, we finally visited a hosptial about an hour away for more specialized care. He started on medication and then it was series of ups and downs finding the right medication and dosages for him and finding the right school setting for him. When I say this has take years, I am not exaggerating.Last year, we finally found the "perfect" school setting. He was able to stop taking one of his meds and is probably the happiest he has ever been. That is his version of happy, not a stereotypical teen version of happy. But, he is more engaged with his siblings and other people. He is more "laid back" (for lack of a better term) and able to joke around and just generally enjoy things in a way that he never has before.The road ahead is filled with lots more challenges, but I'd like to think that the violent days are behind us. 

Regarding your DS, he just might not be seeing the right person. Has he seen more than one Dr? Tried different meds? Does he do any cognitive-behavioral therapy? How old is he? Does he act out at school or just at home?Have you considered hospitalization? We were about a day away from admitting our son, when things were at their darkest. We were able to keep him home, but it helped to know that it a resource if we needed it.

Maime13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Honestly, the Dr doesn't do that much.

He sees him once every three months for med checks. The key, IMO, is being an advocate for your child. Pushing and pushing and never giving up. Never settle. Be sure you understand your child's rights, get outside help if you need it.  Research and seek out resources. If you don't know something, seek out someone who does. If something doesn't work, move on. Keep pushing.

Quoting Jenn-99: I'm happy for you that your son got the help he needed. I think it's all in finding the right doctor!
Quoting Maime13:

My ASD teen is 15 and he has calmed so much over the years we used to deal with tons of outburst, violence, self-destructive behavior, etc. It was a cycle of violence and depression. After years of trying to get help locally, we finally visited a hosptial about an hour away for more specialized care. He started on medication and then it was series of ups and downs finding the right medication and dosages for him and finding the right school setting for him. When I say this has take years, I am not exaggerating.Last year, we finally found the "perfect" school setting. He was able to stop taking one of his meds and is probably the happiest he has ever been. That is his version of happy, not a stereotypical teen version of happy. But, he is more engaged with his siblings and other people. He is more "laid back" (for lack of a better term) and able to joke around and just generally enjoy things in a way that he never has before.The road ahead is filled with lots more challenges, but I'd like to think that the violent days are behind us. 

Regarding your DS, he just might not be seeing the right person. Has he seen more than one Dr? Tried different meds? Does he do any cognitive-behavioral therapy? How old is he? Does he act out at school or just at home?Have you considered hospitalization? We were about a day away from admitting our son, when things were at their darkest. We were able to keep him home, but it helped to know that it a resource if we needed it.

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM

My dd 20 was dx at 10 but I knew she was different lol love her to pieces lol she is med free and doing well but knows she has to work on that anger issue and has done well.  I believe that its out of frustration that their anger explodes and being misunderstood mostly.  Now I let my dd vent and we talk it out if she asks my opinion I give it but other than that she has to learn how to manage.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I have a soon to be 16 yo dd having all the struggles from the adoption problems, Asbergers in 2010, possibly RAD (not sure yet), ODD (in 2nd grade), ADD in 4th grade, Adhd in 6th grade, she's been diagnosed with all these and we had troubles big time acting out in school. That stopped in 6th grade and she is going into 10th grade this current year. Did your teen have social problems? She is so hot headed.  Wants what she wants, when she wants it and I know all teens do but it seems like she's always been 'way over the top on all symptoms' than what a normal teen is.  I don't know about all these diagnoses, could just be teen issues.  How would I know as I have never raised a teen.

kml3
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM

my daughter has adhd and sensory integration disorder so ive been told she is on the spectrum but i dont know 100 percent she had meltdowns as well but they are getting better with time. she is in 11th grade but her maturity level isnt caught up with her and it may never be however hang in there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN