Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

young daughters have you-now app?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 10 yr old daughter and her cousin downloaded an app called you-now during a sleepover last night at my sisters house. They were apparently "chatting " with people, strangers until it was discovered. My sister was very upset of course. After talking with my younger daughter, she tells me she learned about this from her older sister, 14 yrs old. She apparently does this. 

I had never heard of this until now. Have you moms heard of this and would you let your kids do this? I don't know much about it but I don't like my girls talking to strangers, being followed by strangers etc. What do you moms think? Is this something I should be concerned about? 

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Neither of my boys have the app, but a friend's 14 year old son uses it.  I wouldn't be comfortable with a 10 year old using it at all.  If the 14 year old understands internet safety, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  However, my kids know that I can do random checks on their phone, tablets, and computers.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:23 AM

Never heard of it - wouldn't allow it.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Just did a poll of the kids in the house, none of them have ever heard of it until I opened my big mouth.

Cyclendogs
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I would have a problem with my 14y/o dd using it. I check her phone once in a while and have not seen it there. Will ask her about it tonight.

tbanana
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Never heard of it, but would be concerned.  Can you set parental controls on the phone so she is unable to download apps like that?

socalgirl204
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Quoting tbanana:

Never heard of it, but would be concerned.  Can you set parental controls on the phone so she is unable to download apps like that?

On Android phones with 4.4+ KitKat you can set up "users" on it and allow some apps to be used that you can control. Most people dont know this or have ever heard of it. For instance, main user woult be default/admin and other would be Son/Daughter. You can block them from using any app preinstalled on the phone or block them from the Google Play Store all together. Only main account which is password protected can be used to access and install new apps.

I would note that while this prevents your children from downloading apps, doesn't and wont prevent them from doing it on their friends phones and hidding it from you.

awbredux
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM

So far it hasn't come up, but No, we would not let our daughters talk to strangers on line!

Jerzymom
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Nope never heard of it.  Wouldn't allow it.

blessed11x
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Thanks! This was my thinking too when I found out my 10 yr old daughter helped her cousin download it when she was at her house. When questioned about it, she told me her sister, my 14 yr old, had been using it and that is how she learned about it. I had never heard of it until then. After a very heated discussion on internet safety, they are both banned from using anything like this. They have ipods, not phones. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)