Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

16 yr old boy thinks he is 25

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am new on here and I am not sure where to turn!  I have a 16 yr old boy who thnks he is running the show!  It is just us in the house, no other children (he is my last).  I can harldy hold a conversation with him without him completely blowing up and screaming profanity at me.  He has had quite a bit of contact and interaction with his father over the years, dwindling as he becomes more difficult, and almost none this year.  His dad is also a very angry man - my son won't go to counseling (I surprised him 1 time and there was hell to pay) he punches holes in my walls, is horribly verbally abusive, does whatever he wants whenever he wants.  Is on the verge of dropping out of school, won't get a job, comes and goes as he pleases and I feel like I have no recourse at all!  I have been guilty of losing my temper on several occasions - I can only take him screaming "you psycho fucking bitch" in my face so many times.  I made a decision a few months ago that I will no longer scream or yell or slap him (did that a few times as well, always a slap ever a "hit"). I have stuck by this and refuse to yell.  If I leave the house when the fighting starts he destroys walls in the house!  I feel like I have given up all my principles as a parent in order to have any kind of peace and if I do end up saying anything all hell breaks loose.... I am reluctant to call the police because I don't want him to feel like I have abandonded him (like his dad apparently has).  At the same time I feel like a prisoner in my own home, subject to the whims of my child.  He smokes marijuana but doesn't take any other drugs - a hospital emergency confirmed this.  Any advice?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Rock his world and don't allow his crap.  If mine went crazy I would just call the cops.  Have you gotten a psych eval on him? 

1970tina
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I haven't gotten a psych eval - the one counseling appt I could get him to the counselor said he was very angry - duh!!  I have taken all of his stuff away from him and he just threatens to take all of my things... I can't be home all the time I go to work.  It's like a bad marriage and I can't get a divorce!  It has been so bad a couple of times that my neighbor came over because his screaming at me was so loud - that and the banging on all the walls and doors.  My question is how do I not allow his crap?  He wins every time! 

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM

From what you have said it is time to call the cops.  Just maybe they will put him inpatient for a few days and he won't have a choice in the matter.  If you don't the neighbors just might be calling the cops next. 

Quoting 1970tina:

I haven't gotten a psych eval - the one counseling appt I could get him to the counselor said he was very angry - duh!!  I have taken all of his stuff away from him and he just threatens to take all of my things... I can't be home all the time I go to work.  It's like a bad marriage and I can't get a divorce!  It has been so bad a couple of times that my neighbor came over because his screaming at me was so loud - that and the banging on all the walls and doors.  My question is how do I not allow his crap?  He wins every time! 

steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I agree.  it is time to call the cops.  He is out of control and you are going to end up hurt if you don't do something drastic.  It sounds like you have tried everything else and are at the end of your rope.  Don't feel guilty, just make the call.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Also normal 25 year olds don't act like your son.  Well most don't act like him.  You need to get him help asap or he will be in jail and a mess. 

billiejo79
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Call the police it sounds like your son needs a wake up call. The only way to get the peace is you need to get control back.

mona165
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Kick him out. Call the cops. Send him to "beyond scared straight", you can get him into that by a judge the cops will go to your house and take him for a day to prison. Thats what I would do. Next thing you know hes going to be hitting you not the walls.
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Call the police. Let them take him to jail and DO NOT bail him out!

suesues
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM

you need help call police before he hurts you and himself

itsamomblog
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM

If he wants to act like and adult, treat him like one. Tell him to go get his ass a job and start paying rent.  You do realize that this behavior has been ongoing and doesn't happen overnight. Miltary school (or that threat at least) sounds like a good option.  If you call the cops he might end up in juvy which will just make him worse.  If you can't sit him down and talk to him calmly, then you may have to take some more extreme measures and call the cops on him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)