Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Graduation party and out of town guests

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

As graduation celebrations are winding down, I am looking ahead to next year when my DD graduates from HS. Both my DH's family and mine live out of state (different states) which means anyone who comes into town will need to either stay with us or find a hotel.

My DD graduates in May so I already know my DH's family won't be able to make it to the actual graduation. However, my family can. Should we do 2 small family parties, one in May and another later in the summer? Then we wouldn't have to worry about sending anyone to a hotel. Or should we just do a big one when everyone is available maybe overlapping the stays?

Anyone else in this situation? What would you do?

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Lax5
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM
What does your dd want?
steelcrazy
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I honestly would do one big party because it is a major pain in the butt to plan, shop for, and pull off two separate parties.  IMO, out of town guests stay in a hotel.  I would never assume that I'd be staying in a family member's house when visiting from out of town and I honestly never have.

iwashere
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Truthfully, graduation parties right at graduation are a pain. Everyone has them the same weekend, so there are always guest attendance issues. Not to mention that the week of graduation is crazy busy and putting together a party just adds to the crazy.

I would have cake or dinner or both for the people attending graduation. Then I'd have another party later with everyone there. If she's going off to college, this serves as a nice send off as well.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM

No one came from out of state for our dd's parties or graduation.  It was a non issue.  If it were me I would do one large party and whoever comes is there.  Whoever isn't fine too. 

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Your daughter may have something completely different in mind. So start by asking her what SHE would like to do to mark her graduation. It may be the school has its own celebration (some of the schools here have after-graduation lock-in parties to keep the kids from drinking and killing themselves in car crashes). 

Will she turn 18 during the summer? Or be heading off to college? I'd think about a party later in the summer to celebrate her birthday or to see her off to school.

suesues
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I would do 2 dinner parties take a small number out to dinner and thats it 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN