• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freshman Classes question

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM
  • 14 Replies
None of my friends have kids in high school and I need a little advice. Went to dd's freshman orientation and they talked a lot of the importance of the courses they take and everything. When she picked up her schedule I noticed she doesn't have a language arts course (or anything that would count as one).

She's in the pre-law magnet program and her schedule is nice, but she needs 4 LA credits to graduate. So doesn't that mean she needs to take it every year?

At this point she is signed up ceramics and theatre II. Do I have her drop one of those?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I am shocked.  Every freshman HAD to take a language arts class for 4 years at least.  My one dd took 4 years.  My dd in college took 5.  Doubled up a year.  How are your credits done?  Ours is 1 credit per semester so one dd had 8 credits and the other 10. 

Msgme
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM

My dd didnt have an English (language arts)class freshman year. she is in a Theatre program and her freshman theatre class counted as her English Class.  It was called Theatre Classics and they read Classic plays.  In fact her first real English class in High school is AP English this coming year (her junior)   I was concerned when she started freshman year but they explained it.

suesues
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Have her go and ask an advisor if it correct or you call school

ksrsmommy
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I would check with her counselor. My DD just started freshman year as well. I know on something they sent home, they said the only reasons to see their counselor on the first day (other than mental health issues of course) were if they had a 'see counselor' on their schedule, or if they were missing a required course. So it sounds as if it does happen sometimes, that schedules get messed up. Can't hurt to ask so she won't be behind already!

craftyzenmom
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM

My boys are starting this year as well, we just picked up their schedules on Friday. They are both taking Pre-Ap English because you cannot take AP until Soph year. They had to take Health/Geography during the summer to make room in their schedules for just one elective so I'm surprise to see two on her schedule. They are on a UC track in California which is acclerated learning so it may be different. They're also transferring to a UC STEM High School next year so that made difference with the summer school choices.

nkki954
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM
I have to check on the credit thing, but I believe it takes a full year to gain a credit.

She is going I to high school with some credits from a magnet program she was in for middle school. They were in meetings all day today, but I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon.
Her school begins on Monday.

She is also signed up for HOPE phy ed variation .. Which seems to be an elective as well.
Carmel63
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:53 PM

My district has 5 years of English, two different mandatory classes freshman year, so it is very surprising to me.

my2kidsmom9498
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Doesn't she have a counselor? Contact him.
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Theatre arts can sometimes count as a language arts class, because of the reading of plays that's needed. I know I got English credit for theatre, but then again that was more than 30 years ago.

lisa12121
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Our son had to take English I, II, III, and IV. So a full English course each year. 4 LA credits at your school might indicate that she only has to take one or two. I would call the school and be sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)