Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Help, acne is lowering my sons confidence!

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM
  • 27 Replies
We have tried everything under the sun for my 15 yr old's moderate acne, but it seems like nothing works. I took him to a dermatologist, who prescribed some stuff that's supposed to help his face clear up over time, but honestly I just have this feeling that this is just one of those things that were gonna have to deal with and let it run it's course :/ my daughter is very into making sure to keep her face looking how she wants it at all times, so she hasn't had any problems with acne, but my next oldest son is beginning to develop it too, and he's already very insecure at the moment. Idk what to do in the meantime before the prescription starts kicking in, please help!!
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
We added a facial scrub and grapefruit wipe to his nighttime routine with brushing teeth. It is obvious when he skips two days.

It's just a another form of hygiene he 'a learned to add to his nightly routine. He scrubs with an acne facial wash on a cut up synthetic sea sponge and gently wipes clean with the grapefruit wipes. It's really helped! Good luck !
Teen boys are hRd to get in the shower let alone anything extra.
suesues
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM

if prescrition is not working oral and or cream call dr there are so many out there may need a change 

momofacrew
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:27 AM
Proactive really works for dd's. How you tried it?
Jerzymom
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Have you tried Epiduo? My 17 yr old uses it. I can tell when she uses it and when she doesn't. You need to get a script from doc.

momof5sylvie
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM
I've seen commercials for that and it's one of the only ones we haven't looked into yet. Proactive didn't work and x-out made his skin dried out in some places and still pimply in others. I'll ask about Epiduo though, thanks

Quoting Jerzymom:

Have you tried Epiduo? My 17 yr old uses it. I can tell when she uses it and when she doesn't. You need to get a script from doc.

marymagdelin
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM

My daughter had severe acne.  We tried everything. I spent thousands on prescription drugs. Finally I took her to a new dermatologist who put her on retina. It worked!! Has some serious side effects, but her Dr. monitored her closely. Discuss with your Dr. to see if its the right treatment for your son. Good Luck!

lisa12121
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Boys seem to be very different when it comes to caring for their skin. My 10 y/o washes her face and uses pimple cream. My oldest, now 18, couldn't be bothered and he had moderate acne. Dermatologist recommended microdermabrasion. I just felt if he washed his face and used the creams he would be okay. In either case, a mild glycolic acid peel might work wonders. It removes the outermost layer of skin to open pores and clean up scars. At first, it will open existing pimples and they will scab over (so do the first treatment when they have a break from school). But with regular use, it should reduce acne by quite a bit. Skin Obsessions sells various strengths on Amazon. Very easy to do, only takes a few minutes, and might make a big difference. That is the product I have used and it made a huge difference in my adult acne. Check out some youtube videos on glycolic acid peels to get a feel for what it does. Message me directly if you have any questions.

Saphira1207
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM

As a 20+ year survivor of truly horrible acne here are my  suggestions, which I learned from a large variety of doctors and medical texts about acne.

Neutrogena has a whole line of cleansers & moisturizers that really help.  They don't smell "girly" so he won't have to worry about that. Plus you can find coupons and they aren't too expensive overall.

A proper diet, low in junk food and soda, high in carrots and other veggies/fruits will help tremendously.

Figure out if he has oily, dry or combo skin.  Have him use an oil to keep his skin at the right moisture level. I know, I know, it sounds counterintuitive to use oil to keep skin healthy when acne is involved, but it really works.  I have combo skin myself and if it gets too dry i break out, if it gets to oily I break out, but with the body oil (Neutrogena) my skin only gets what it needs. No more, no less.

And, because I get acne pretty much everywhere except my forearms, I really liked the cream versions of the doxycycline.  It kept my dry skin healthier and still took care of the external acne.

One last note - acne is caused by hormones.  Specifically coritsol.  If he's stressed in any way his acne will increase.  If he doesn't already have one, a regular anti-stress activity will help.  It could be drawing, physical activity or what ever works for him, but it should be done regularly.  I like yoga, pottery and walking/running.

momof5sylvie
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Hmm, that's intersting I'll check it out. I have acne scars from middle school (so quite a long time ago haha) do you think it will work for me too?

Quoting lisa12121:

Boys seem to be very different when it comes to caring for their skin. My 10 y/o washes her face and uses pimple cream. My oldest, now 18, couldn't be bothered and he had moderate acne. Dermatologist recommended microdermabrasion. I just felt if he washed his face and used the creams he would be okay. In either case, a mild glycolic acid peel might work wonders. It removes the outermost layer of skin to open pores and clean up scars. At first, it will open existing pimples and they will scab over (so do the first treatment when they have a break from school). But with regular use, it should reduce acne by quite a bit. Skin Obsessions sells various strengths on Amazon. Very easy to do, only takes a few minutes, and might make a big difference. That is the product I have used and it made a huge difference in my adult acne. Check out some youtube videos on glycolic acid peels to get a feel for what it does. Message me directly if you have any questions.

momof5sylvie
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I think the stress is definitely part of what's keeping his acne from going away. Most of the time he's a fairly relaxed and happy kid, but when the break outs start so do the freak outs, of course. I try to explain to him if you stress over it that makes it worse but getting through to a teenage boy can feel next to impossible

Quoting Saphira1207:

As a 20+ year survivor of truly horrible acne here are my  suggestions, which I learned from a large variety of doctors and medical texts about acne.

Neutrogena has a whole line of cleansers & moisturizers that really help.  They don't smell "girly" so he won't have to worry about that. Plus you can find coupons and they aren't too expensive overall.

A proper diet, low in junk food and soda, high in carrots and other veggies/fruits will help tremendously.

Figure out if he has oily, dry or combo skin.  Have him use an oil to keep his skin at the right moisture level. I know, I know, it sounds counterintuitive to use oil to keep skin healthy when acne is involved, but it really works.  I have combo skin myself and if it gets too dry i break out, if it gets to oily I break out, but with the body oil (Neutrogena) my skin only gets what it needs. No more, no less.

And, because I get acne pretty much everywhere except my forearms, I really liked the cream versions of the doxycycline.  It kept my dry skin healthier and still took care of the external acne.

One last note - acne is caused by hormones.  Specifically coritsol.  If he's stressed in any way his acne will increase.  If he doesn't already have one, a regular anti-stress activity will help.  It could be drawing, physical activity or what ever works for him, but it should be done regularly.  I like yoga, pottery and walking/running.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN