Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: How do you limit the time for my teen age...

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM
  • 12 Replies

How do you limit the time for your teen- age daughter to use the i-touch and i- phone?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nebcutie
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM
If it became a problem here then i would give so long and it gets put on the table in the living room.
StreetsAhead
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't
If I think DS is spending too much time on the screen I tell him to turn it off if he doesn't it gets taken off him (just for a short time period)
booscomputer
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Depending on your service provider, you may be able to shut her phone off completely during certain hours -- that's what we did with my DD -- not because she does stuff late at night but because her friends were sending her texts, etc.  Her phone will only work as an alarm and will only call me, her father and my mother between the hours of 9p.m. and 7 a.m. and it's through Verizon that this was done.

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Take them away.  Its not hard. 

I took phones every weeknight at 9pm always during HS also. 

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:00 PM

This. Or I say "Can you do -whatever needs to be done-".

Generally if people have other things to do they don't sit there staring at a screen.

Quoting StreetsAhead: I don't If I think DS is spending too much time on the screen I tell him to turn it off if he doesn't it gets taken off him (just for a short time period)

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM
I don't. As long as her chores are done and grades are good. I see it no different than when I was a teen and Woukd talk on the phone all night
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM

If she's using it at night, and/or she's on them instead of doing homework, make it a new house rule that the itouch and phone get put in one central spot at a certain time. For homework, she gets them back when homework is done. At night, she gets them back when she gets up for the day (specify that- I know if it was my kids and I just said "in the morning", they would try to get them at 12:01 a.m b/c technically, that is morning).

lisa12121
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM

We had similar problems with our sons over their xboxes. We finally told them they could not play except during weekends and holidays. iPhone and iTouch are harder. You have to physically confiscate them. Set up a time every evening where, once they have completed homework, they can access the devices for one or two hours. Unless they are studying with music, which my older son does.

elkmomma
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Does she have out side interests or social groups that require her physical presence?  There's lots of volunteer opportunities (not just soup kitchens / homeless shelters kind of things) depending on her age.  Our PetCo this summer ran a program teaching 4-9yr olds kids how to care and handle various pets,  my grand-kids did this one...it was soo cool.  They also had a class for 10 -17 yr olds teaching grooming for cats & dogs.  The library often needs volunteers to read books for little kids too.  Just some ideas that may help her disconnect and reconnect with real life interests.   DS is 14 and it took most of his summer to find things for him to do that actually benefited both him and out community.....ugh teenagers!

Sarlinda
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM

My dd doesn't have either so here's a bump for ya. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN