Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Online Classes?!?!?!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM
  • 3 Replies
My 13 year old son and I saw a commercial for online schooling for kids K-12. He now wants to try this. Anyone ever done this for their kids...if so what do you think? Pros? Cons?
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

K12 definitel has pros and cons. It all depends on your philosophy of education. It is "school at home" NOT "homeschooling." 

We did K12 with my nephew for a year and it did not fit our lifestyle. They pay for everything...books, computer, printer, even internet. They offer (REQUIRE) online webclasses. There are weekly meet ups offered and REQUIRED monthly teacher meetings to turn in work samples. You are required to log in a certain amount of hours daily depending on grade level.

I did not like having set classes at set times. My DH works nights and weekends so we would take our days off mid-week. That did NOT mesh with their required hours system and we were constantly berated for not logging enough hours. It would not allow us to log them on Saturday. I learned to "fudge the books" and lie about when we worked to keep them happy.  If we were going somewhere and had a web-class, we had to rearrange our schedule or bring a laptop and make him take a timeout from our activity to attend class @@ That ended in meltdowns and evilness.

I do not like the common core ideals. All their materials are common core.

It is NOT work at your own pace as they advertise UNLESS your pace is faster than the average. if your child struggles, they have little sympathy and yell at you to keep up. Many pull kids from school because what the publicschool is doing is not working for their child. If that is the case, they will struggle with K12 too.

If the child is an independent learner, can keep a decent pace and doesn't need to be redirected, they can do GREAT with K12. Basically, any average or above average learner who has some sense of pacing themselves.

There was also a lot of "busy work" if you try to do EVERY assignment on their list, you will have a child in tears and bang your own head on the walls! you have to learn what you MUST do, and what things are optional d work around it.  For us, that got to be too tedious and monotonous.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

craftyzenmom
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

There isn't a K-12 hub campus in our county so we can't use their service for free... it would be around $2400/year. I looked into it as a plan B if freshman year doesn't work out at traditional high school. My boys have been homeschooled through a charter program for 4 years and are going to a STEM school their soph year, it's just not opened yet. The K-12 program is very rigid, which can be good for some kids. The boys did a geography class over the summer online and it was very task oriented, tedious and time sensitive. They did not enjoy it but managed to get through it with A's. I don't think it's the expereince they portray in the commercial with the kids who have these lives as athletes etc... and work school into their own schedule. You can always try it out and see what happens and have a back up plan if it implodes. Good luck!

STARRYVONN
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:19 PM
We have been Virtual Schooling through Connections Academy going on 4 years now. And we enjoy it and are excelling well. We have a flexible schedule and work at our own pace. If there are subjects that are less of a challenge then my children can finish up that weeks subject in 2 days and be able to spend more time a more challenging project. There are field trips, clubs and contest and we find it to be a great fit for our family. Its a challenge at first but after the first semester its smooth sailing. It's not for everyone, not everyone has the patience to learn what may work for them and give up too soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN