Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Student Says She Was Suspended for Saying 'Bless You' to Sneezing Classmate

Cafe MichelleP
Football, football and more football. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Yesterday at 9:09 PM
Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM
  • 15 Replies
Student Says She Was Suspended for Saying 'Bless You' to Sneezing Classmate

by Ericka Sóuter

high school classroomI am all for the separation of church and state, especially when it comes to public school. With so many different religions within a community, it's not exactly fair to impose one specific set of beliefs on a diverse group of kids. So I understand why people get up in arms when a teacher teaches creationism. However, one Dyer, Tennessee, high school instructor may be taking the whole notion too far. A student was disciplined for saying "bless you" in class. Ridiculous, right? Wait until you hear their reasoning behind the punishment.

Kendra Turner explained that she said the courteous phrase to a classmate who sneezed. The teacher objected, telling the student she wouldn't tolerate "Godly speaking" in her class. Turner defended herself by asserting it was her constitutional First Amendment right and that earned her an in-school suspension.

The computer teacher allegedly said that phrases like that interfere with the flow of the class. (Whatever that means.) Other banned words include hang out, my bad, dumb, stupid, stuff.

A newly enrolled student at the school, Turner has been pleasantly surprised by all the support she has received from other students. Some have even worn T-shirts with the words "Bless You" emblazoned across them.

The school says that this entire situation has been blown out of proportion, but what a silly rule. In this day and age, a student should be praised for being polite, not picked on. Perhaps this teacher would be more grateful if she was thrown into one of the many failing, inner-city schools in New York or Detroit. Then she would see what it's like to deal with kids who interrupt the flow of her lesson.

Watch more about the story:

Dyer County Student Suspended (video here)

view on site

Do you think this teacher was out of line or are her rules fair?

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought it was freedom OF religion, not freedom from religion.  This stuff makes my blood boil. 

Jerzymom
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Yes! And freedom of speech!

Quoting atlmom2:

I thought it was freedom OF religion, not freedom from religion.  This stuff makes my blood boil. 

jamamama00
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I am really curious as to what the other side of this story is.
SuckIt69
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:03 PM
If it's the way the article describes, that's pretty overboard. Sheesh
Hthornburg77
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:58 AM
This is ridiculous. Nobody ever wants to talk about Jesus and prayer, UNTIL tragedy strikes.....hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, diseases, death......Then, and only then do they call on him for help and resolve. We need to wake up, and realize that God wants ALL of us, ALL the time. Not just during times of trouble, heartache, and sorrow. He loves us with an unconditional everlasting love, and he desires for us to reach out to him before life brings us down, then he's already there to give us peace that passes all understanding in EVERY situation. Praise God, for HE and only HE is our salvation, and holds the key to our eternal life in heaven. Amen & amen!!!!
angelenia
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 5:26 AM
That teacher is a fucking dumbass! It is second nature to most folks to say bless you when someone sneezes. Hell, i say it strangers all the time. It is not godly speech ( too far removed from original context). It is common secular vernacular and i bet most people say it out of reflexive politeness, hardly aware of it. I certainly have never met someone who was actually trying to cast out the demons that caused me to sneeze.lol:)
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:16 AM

There has to be another side to this.

It's just too stupid to be the truth.

diamondprnces
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

This is crazy . It's no way to remove religion and prayer from school . As long as the teachers give test there will always be prayer in school 

cupcake_mom
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Why I think it's funny is most of the teachers in schools don't even know the rules. Kids are allowed to pray, read their bibles, shoot even have group prayer as long as none of it is teacher lead. At least that's how it is here.
Golfermom3
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM

It wasn't even God bless you!!! Totally ridiculous !!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)