Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do your teens work?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 43 Replies

My 13-year-old will be starting her first job as an instructor of an arts and crafts class at her language school this fall.  Since she isn't officially of working age she will be volunteering her time until she turns fourteen.  It's is only once a week for an hour but she can't wait to be earning $20 each week for doing something she likes. 

None of her friends are working or wishes to work.  Is my DD the only one out there who wants to work?  I remember working as a page at our local library when I was her age, styling at $2.88 an hour.  lol.

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM
My teens started working at ages 12 & 13. By choice , they stRted out babysitting . At 14 they were working for a catering company making $15 hour .
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM

My two oldest girls started babysitting when they were 12-13. The oldest then volunteered as a day camp counselor the summer between freshman and sophomore year; the following summer she had a paying job as a camp counselor; worked at a ceramics studio her junior year until this past July; and just landed a job at Starbucks yesterday, so that's where she will be working as a 17YO senior. 

The younger one just turned 15 and is currently happy babysitting and tutoring.  She is very school-focused so I'm fine with her not having a regular job while in HS because I know she is going to be taking extremely difficult classes.

I must say that most of their friends don't seem to have much interest in working.  Those who do are working out of necessity, because their parents refuse to pay for gas and entertainment expenses.

Carmen66
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter works in Kmart during the summer cause she goes away to school
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I started working at 12. I babysat until I was 14 and got a job at a local green house. My daughter however probably won't be working for a while. She doesn't have as much free time as I did. She plays multiple sports, plus she's in an empowerment program, and twirls baton, and is in an advance school that has her doing high school work. I imagine as she gets older and lets go of some of her activities she will probably work as a life guard for our local YMCA. A lot of our swim team kids end up working as life guards.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

No. My (teenage) son has been looking for a job all summer.

mamavalor
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Do they enjoy babysitting? 

Quoting lucky2Beeme: My teens started working at ages 12 & 13. By choice , they stRted out babysitting . At 14 they were working for a catering company making $15 hour .

mamavalor
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Wow, they keep busy.

Quoting Niccalyn:

My two oldest girls started babysitting when they were 12-13. The oldest then volunteered as a day camp counselor the summer between freshman and sophomore year; the following summer she had a paying job as a camp counselor; worked at a ceramics studio her junior year until this past July; and just landed a job at Starbucks yesterday, so that's where she will be working as a 17YO senior. 

The younger one just turned 15 and is currently happy babysitting and tutoring.  She is very school-focused so I'm fine with her not having a regular job while in HS because I know she is going to be taking extremely difficult classes.

I must say that most of their friends don't seem to have much interest in working.  Those who do are working out of necessity, because their parents refuse to pay for gas and entertainment expenses.

mamavalor
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Wow, she is busy.  How old is she?

Quoting Sydel:

I started working at 12. I babysat until I was 14 and got a job at a local green house. My daughter however probably won't be working for a while. She doesn't have as much free time as I did. She plays multiple sports, plus she's in an empowerment program, and twirls baton, and is in an advance school that has her doing high school work. I imagine as she gets older and lets go of some of her activities she will probably work as a life guard for our local YMCA. A lot of our swim team kids end up working as life guards.

mamavalor
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

No. My (teenage) son has been looking for a job all summer.

Sorry to hear.  How about suggesting that he create his own business?  A few boys in our neighborhood offered to walk dogs, mow lawns, paint, etc.

Sydel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

She will be 13 in November and her schedule has always been crazy. However as she gets older she is slowly dropping things.  This week alone she walked away from choir and volleyball.

Quoting mamavalor:

Wow, she is busy.  How old is she?

Quoting Sydel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN