Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Niece decided she will not return to school for her senior year.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

Our niece informed my sister the day of high school registration that  she will no longer attend her high school this fall. She is going to be 18 next month and decided she will be moving in with her boyfriend and will complete her education via an adult program in the Vo-Tech and pursue her modeling career. She has been featured in several store ads, 17 and a few other publications. She has also danced in a music video.  She is a very voluptuous pretty young woman and has a 1yr modeling contract. She said she is tired of the drama,  zero tolerence  school rules, and feels tradtional school is holding her up. Her boyfriend is 21 and a master auto tech at a major dealership. He has his own home with a shop at home. My brother-in-law and my DH really like her boyfriend as they all share an interest in auto repair, etc. They are worried she is not as grounded as him being younger and used to a faster paced lifestyle she will move on and leave him in the dust.  My sister is dissapointed there will be no traditional senior year, graduation, etc. I feel she will not be content to live in Wisconsin much longer and will be drawn to the west or east coast. My DH and my brother in law will have to realize they have more in commen with her boyfriend than she does. He has built a life and future for himself here she is still pursuing hers. He is just the man of the moment. Does anyone else have a situation where a young adult in their lives left high school to persue a real life dream or occupation?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Letting her have a 21 yo boyfriend at 17 was a huge mistake. Let her see the real world isn't easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I hate living here in Wisconsin so I agree with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

As long as she gets her diploma somehow, I'd be fine with it, frankly.  I admire the girl's drive and it sounds like she's got a plan in place.  She sounds grounded to me.  And she'll be 18 when she moves in with her boyfriend next month, legally she will be an adult then.

8chickens
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM

No one has an issue with her boyfriend, and she is already moving in. She is making good money, in fact she makes more than any of us at this point. Point is her boyfriends life is grounded here in Wisconsin, we feel she will not be content very long and move out of state that this arrangement will be more temporary than we think. Once her current contract expires larger agencies are pursuing her. She has opportunities to travel more this year to shoots, etc. and thus why she is ready to move on. Once she gets a bigger taste of the money lifestyle the State of Wisconsin will look pretty pathetic to her in the whole picture. Her boyfriend has been instrumental to keeping her more grounded than her parents and thus she has not picked up the party lifestyle or drugs. She will listen to him when she will listen to no other. Many times he'll listen to  things that her father and uncle will tell him , he in turns tells her and it is no big deal.

iwashere
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:28 PM

She seems to know what she wants. She has a plan in place for completing school. She has a career she is developing. Frankly, I know people in their 20s who are not as grounded as she is. You are right, she probably has plans that involve her moving from Wisconsin. At that point, all you can do is hope that she remembers the good foundation that her entire family has provided for her - you, her parents, her BF.

I'd be there for her when she needs it, encourage her to follow her dreams and cross my fingers. It's really all you can do. There will be no keeping her in Wisconsin when she decides she wants to go.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM

She very likely will leave. But your description of a pretty, voluptuous girl concerns me because there are companies that are interested in such girls... not to put them in Vogue magazine, either. As long as she keeps her head together and stays the hell OUT of the San Fernando Valley, she should be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN