Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Moms of boys... Update in origiinal post

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

In your experience, do boys get the same amount of encouragement in school that girls do?

My daughter is a senior in high school and has always done very well in school.  My son (7th grade), maybe not so much.

But I have noticed this.When my son gets really excited about a school assignment he will work very hard on it and the quality will be equal to or better than anything his sister would have done.  But his sister would have gotten an A on the project and my son will come home with a significantly lower grade.

Just yesterday my son came home with a B- on a group project.  The three girls in the group got As and the hree boys got B-s.  I was surprised because my son is a freakin' EXPERT on the subject matter (Revolutionary War).  I thought maybe DS didn't do his share of the work but he proved to me that he did.  I asked him why he thought he got the grade he did and he said, "She hates boys.  Most teachers do."

I wish I could tell him he's wrong, but I'm seeing too much evidence the other way. 

Does your son feel that teachers favor girls in their grading practices?  Do you?

Update:  I asked DS to ask his teacher why he got a B- when all the girls got As.  Apparently she said it was because the girls came in during their study hall to work on the artwork.  Surely he must have misunderstood-- artwork should count about ZERO on a social studies project, right?  Not to mention that DS couldn't have come in during his study hall anyway because that's when he gets his speech therapy.  Looks like I am goign to have to get involved with this one, and that's what I DIDN'T want to do...

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM

I have only girls so I can't say one way or another. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:13 AM
My sons and I don't feel the teachers favor the girls in their grading practices.
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:30 AM

My son is pretty mcuh a straight A student, my two girls that go/did go tot he same school have been a straight B student and the other's grades are all over the shop, depending on the subject.

So it's not something I can say I have experienced.

Maime13
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I have 3 sons and and a daughter and I haven't seen that as a common phenomenon. However, my oldest has experienced one teacher who flat out didn't like boys and obviously favored girls over boys. And that was in upper school.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM

have you looked at all the projects to compair?  is he not as neat as the girls?  it seems odd that they would get different grades.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

My kids haven't mentioned it.  When I was in school it was completely opposite. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Me too.  Guys got better treatment. 

Quoting ame4c:

My kids haven't mentioned it.  When I was in school it was completely opposite. 

AmaliaD
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a teacher. I see it myself. Too many teachers are women. Too many women have a beef with the men in their personal life and generalize their personal struggles to beliefs about all boys. Yes that's true. Im not guilty though. :)
butzi
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I have two sons, two daughters. I have not noticed it with grades but I have with behavior. I have noticed teachers (especially elementary) putting up with all kinds of vicious bull shittery from girls, because they are not loud and disruptive, while trying to squash the natural exuberance and physical way that boys behave. Obviously not all girls are conniving little snots, and not all boys are jumping bundles of energy... this is just something I have observed teachers being either tolerant or intolerant of depending on the gender.

san33
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM
We have had this problem with a few teachers. When confronted with it they always have an excuse. When you go in to talk with the teacher make sure you can counter these claims. In the case of the girls coming in during study hall was that something the group had prearranged or something the girls did on their own? Did the boys work extra on some ither part? A group assignment isn't about one part of the group it is about all of them as a whole. You need to point out that this is active discrimination and if it is not stopped you will go to the principal about it. Personally I think this is a situation your son needs to be part of the solution but you need to take the lead. He will have to deal with this kind of situation in the future. It's part of life as dad as it is. Now it's the perfect opportunity to show him how to deal with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)