Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

PMS & The First Period

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

Last night it finally hit me - my DD was experiencing PMS for the first time!   All this week she has been moody, she has had a few pimples, but I didn't think much of it until yesterday.   We were shopping at a sporting goods store and she wanted to look at the boxing stuff.  She said she felt like she wanted to something, which is unusual for my quiet child. Then when we got home, she was craving chocolate like a wild woman.  She "needed" chocolate.   Then BAM - it hit me that she just had PMS for the first time - moody, breakouts, cravings and anger. 

My DD is 13 and has always been very small and the doctors thought it would be another year before her cycle would start.   Now that I am seeing well defined PMS, I wonder if Aunt Flo will soon be visiting for the time.

Can you remember the days before your DD had her first period?  Where there signs it was coming?  Oh how I dread this.  My periods have always been so rough - lots of cramping, low blood pressure to point of fainting, horrible PMS (I was dx with PMDD years ago).   My girl as a low pain tolerance and is a bit of drama queen when it comes to feeling poorly.    

Moms, make me feel better :-)

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM

bump

KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM

bump

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM
No signs with my 2. My youngest is tiny too. She was 14 and it was mid year 8th grade on Christmas vacation. If she has a bad time the pill really helps. No need to suffer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I can't quite recall the days before.

That said, I'm a tiny person, always have been and I was 10, all my girls are small too and started around that time, it's no guarantee of a later start to periods.

Leissaintexas
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Mine was so young when she started that the possibility never occurred to me that it was PMS.

Not every woman has it rough, yours could get lucky and have an easy time of it. One thing I've taught my DD is that the more active you are during, the less it bothers you. Some days I have to force her out of bed lol, but I make her go for a power walk with me and it makes her feel better.
butzi
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I also was tiny and started at 10. When I started high school, at 14 I was 4'11" and weighed 75 pounds; as a 10 year old weighed maybe 55. Being small is no guarantee .
Emeraldmama7
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Take that and add on overly emotional, and that was my dd. She's had her period for over a yr now. I also have horrible cramps and I very heavy flow. She does as well. So, once a month (we've synced cycles) we chow down on chocolate, bust out the ugly undies and midol and have our little bitch session on how it sucks to be a woman. Lol
3girls221111
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:34 PM

My daughter just got hers for the first time last week at 14.5 years old. No PMS at all.

WindeeH17
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 1:18 AM
My 13 yr has been getting hers for just under 3 yrs now. However with as much physical activity as she does ie... 7 dance classed & bowling & softball they have become very irregular. Sometimes not getting it for a month or two at a time. Where's before they were always very regular & heavy & painful. Now on top of that she hurt herself & now is less active. So it's like her periods are coming back with vengeance. Seems like every 18 to 21 days & lasting 7 or 8 days & being very heavy the whole time. She came to me in tears & asked if she could go on the low dose pill to help regulate & lighten them up. As a woman & her mother who went through the same growing up I want to hep her but her father can think of only one thing every time he hears us say 'the pill' & that's sex!
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM

My daughter was 13 when she started, she's 15 now and still not 100lbs lol.  She had all of the above symptoms a couple of months out.  One day I reminded her to bring pads and stuff to school because she was destined to start at any moment.  A few hours later I got a call from her.  She started her period in class lol.  Poor girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN