Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College fair time!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

So who's making college plans? Mine's only a sophomore, but I told him that this year stuff gets real and he's believing it. He wants to study computer science with a focus on game development. He's also decided he would prefer to stay in-state for college, and thinks he'd prefer to stay home. We found three schools with programs he likes within an hour of our home, all of them state universities.

Just for the heck of it, I started looking at USC, which is also in-state. $62K for one year! YIKES!

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Maime13
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We are getting a breather this year! Our oldest is a Freshman in college this year. My other two boys are Freshman and Sophmores in high school. Though my 15 yo is autistic and not on grade level, so he will likely be in school longer. He attends a therpeutic school that extends beyond age 18. My daughter is a 7th grader this year.

iwashere
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM

My ds is a freshman in college this year. We looked for colleges sophomore year and he attended college fairs. Junior year, he did tours. That way, by fall of senior year he had a plan in place for applications. Be sure to research prerequisites for his major for each school. My ds found out late that his instate school wanted slightly different classes for his major than the usual, generic ones that were required. He still got in, but really that caught him by surprise.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

My youngest is already a junior in college.  I would be asking him how much he can afford to pay towards college.  $62,000 a year is crazy. 

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I told mine that number this morning as we were driving to school, and he said, "Ouch!" 

His top picks are considerably less expensive.

Quoting atlmom2:

My youngest is already a junior in college.  I would be asking him how much he can afford to pay towards college.  $62,000 a year is crazy. 

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

My oldest is a junior. His top choices are frighteningly expensive. Harvey Mudd is on the top of his list, followed by MIT, Brown, Stanford and the University of Denver (which just got a $20million grant for computer sciences.) He is hugely into programming. He just set up his first website for an app he developed for a teacher, which appears to be very popular among the tech teachers at his school.

DD is a sophomore and isn't quite sure where she wants to go. She knows that she wants to be some sort of doctor, but that's as far as it goes right now.

JanetteA
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this

What's funny here is, if you are in the top 20 or 30% of your high school class, out-of-state public universities will give you an automatic scholarship that's roughly equal to out-of-state-tuition.  So if the school's dorm rates and enrollment fees are much less than your in-state school, it can actually be cheaper to go out of state than stay in state.

There are a lot of Texas kids who are ending up in Oklahoma and Arkansas this way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)