Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who pays?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM
  • 19 Replies
My oldest (15, sophmore) was asked to the homecoming dance.

He thinks he should buy the tickets because he's the guy. I think she should buy the tickets because she invited him.

They're not dating if that makes a difference.

I don't care either way - just need to know :)

Which is it?
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM

It can be either way.  They could split or one or the other could buy.  Kinda tricky I guess.  He could just ask her how much the tickets were hinting he would or could pay and see what she says.  There is no right or wrong to me. 

Maime13
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If they aren't dating and this is a "friend" situation, they should split the cost.

I do generally agree with the "he/she who invites pays" but when it's an actual date.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:14 AM
If its friends they split the cost.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:31 AM
You say she was asked then say she invited him? I'm a little confused; but I would suggest one pays for the dance and the other pays for the meal beforehand.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 5:49 AM
I never said she was asked, I said my DS was asked...

Quoting GleekingOut: You say she was asked then say she invited him? I'm a little confused; but I would suggest one pays for the dance and the other pays for the meal beforehand.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Whoops - that's what I get for reading without my glasses.

Quoting the3Rs: I never said she was asked, I said my DS was asked...
Quoting GleekingOut: You say she was asked then say she invited him? I'm a little confused; but I would suggest one pays for the dance and the other pays for the meal beforehand.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM

The person doing the inviting is normally expected to pay the cost. It would be very gracious of your son to pay for his own ticket, but not necessary for him to pay for both.

Maikopmom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this
There is no right or wrong answer. Because it's not a date, it seems to me that "going dutch" as we called it would be the best solution. Or as someone had suggested. One pays for the tickers and the other pays for the meal. Which depending on where they go, could be more than the tickets.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Quoting Maikopmom: There is no right or wrong answer. Because it's not a date, it seems to me that "going dutch" as we called it would be the best solution. Or as someone had suggested. One pays for the tickers and the other pays for the meal. Which depending on where they go, could be more than the tickets.

Well, I'm confused (this is all so new to me).  What constitutes a "date"?  I mean, they are not dating...but they're not friends either.  He barely knows her, and she walked up to his locker when he was done with cross country and invited him.  To me that is a "date" even though they're not "dating"...does that make sense?

In any case...I think going dutch sounds good.

Maikopmom
by Member on Sep. 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting Maikopmom: There is no right or wrong answer. Because it's not a date, it seems to me that "going dutch" as we called it would be the best solution. Or as someone had suggested. One pays for the tickers and the other pays for the meal. Which depending on where they go, could be more than the tickets.

Well, I'm confused (this is all so new to me).  What constitutes a "date"?  I mean, they are not dating...but they're not friends either.  He barely knows her, and she walked up to his locker when he was done with cross country and invited him.  To me that is a "date" even though they're not "dating"...does that make sense?

In any case...I think going dutch sounds good.

It does make sense that it is a date.  And going dutch still works in this situation.  Hope they have a great time at Homecoming!!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)