Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The joys(sarcasm)of having a teen daughter.

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: If her actions do not improve,should I send her back to my mother?

Options:

yes

no

undecided

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I have posted and wanted to drop in. Oh the joys of having a 16 yr old daughter,shoot me now,lol. Before anyone assumes it is bad or out of control,just stop. It is the normal 'I'll do it later" on her phone all day talking with her boyfriend. She has been neglecting her chores, pets,school work and horse. I told her boyfriend tonight that if she doesn't get her act together I will be shipping her BACK TO HER GRANDMOTHER IN VA. Here,she has more freedoms,more friends and more of a chance at success. At my mom's she was stifled,bored, and depressed. I don't get it. Then again, I was a teenager once too and my family felt the same way. Any thoughts?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Bump
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't ship her back. Her problems aren't as bad as they could be. Heck, I had an abusive daughter and I never shipped her away. Take the phone if she's spending too much time on it. Ground her until her chores are done. Make her understand that until 18 dating is a privilege that comes with being responsible. Not a right.
cybcm
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM
1 mom liked this

This is going to come across as harsh but, on what planet is your teenage daughter your mother's responsibility? She's your daughter, her actions and her behaviour is your responsibility.

She sounds like a normal teenager to me. Other than threaening her boyfriend with sending her away, what efforts have you put into to change her behaviour?

suesues
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM

take away phone 

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I would discipline her like taking her phone or not letting her see friends if she continues to not listen. You have to be a parent and not a friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BELLAGYPSI261
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

cybcm- Due to my job as an over the road truck driver,my daughters lived with my mother for over 10 yrs, Gabby now knows she is grounded for until Christmas. No phone,no bf,no parks,parties or going out. I did tell her if she did not straighten up,i would be sending her back to her grandmother,which of course she did not like to hear,because she knew she would have to leave behind her Arabain horse,her kittens,cell phone and freedoms. And no,her father isn't around,he skipped when she was a yr old. 

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Take her phone away untill she gets her stuff done.

booscomputer
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I do not understand questions like this -- First, my daughter is my responsiblity and I would never send her to live with someone else.  Second, she doesn't sound that bad -- just lazy.  Third, when I tell my daughter to do something, I give her an ETA and, if it's not done, then she is now on my time -- any of my time that she wastes gets paid back 1 minute of my time equals 15 minutes of her time.  So, if she takes 15 minutes to do something after the ETA then she now owes me 3.75 hours of additional work or loss of something they love.  Since your daughter has a boyfriend, then every minute of your time that she wastes is 15 minutes not on the phone, texting, seeing her boyfriend.  You also have to have a back bone and do what you say you're going to do.  

BELLAGYPSI261
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM

already done. 

bresmommy21
by Member on Dec. 9, 2014 at 2:57 PM

That is her problem right there. Grandparents, especially mothers are always stricter than us mothers. You need to buckle down and start setting consequences or have your mom come stay for a week. She (your teen) just knows you are easy going. Trust me my 16yr old daughter is the EXACT same way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)