Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 YO daughter night time cell and device use

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM
  • 34 Replies
How late do you let your child keep cells and devices at night time?

We're finding our DD is staying up WAY too late on them and wondering what your "curfews" might be.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:17 AM
The teen (14) charges his phone in his room so we never take the phone away. But he is pretty good at policing himself.
If he wasn't I would get him to leave it in the kitchen to charge over night when he goes to bed
Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

If he were abusing it, the cell phone would be turned in at bed time (10 pm).

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Sunday through Thursday night at 9pm the phones because mine when they were in school.  They went to bed at 9 to 9:15 on school nights. 

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM

My dd is 13. She doesn't have her phone right now but when she does it goes to bed with me and charges on my night stand over night.  If I am sick or go to bed early she turns it in when her dad goes to work which is around 10:30 pm. On the weekends she can have it all night.

mom2bahandcch
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:15 AM
Is she getting up on time for school? If my child chose to play all night, she better be responsible enough to get up on time and do well in school.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I figure they are WAY too plugged in if they are texting, talking or on the internet all night.  That is really bad and not good at all.  That is why the phones were mine at 9pm and mine didn't even have smart phones in HS. 

klocker21
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
At 16 I'd let them take it in their room, but not until 16. You want to limit their access when they are young, but at some point you need to hand that responsibility over to them. Its better you hand it over while they are under your roof so you can see if they are abusing it.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM

The OP said her dd is abusing the privilege and staying up way too late.  Most kids do not turn phones off at a certain time.  They don't have the will power to do it.  Many adults don't, lol. 

Quoting klocker21: At 16 I'd let them take it in their room, but not until 16. You want to limit their access when they are young, but at some point you need to hand that responsibility over to them. Its better you hand it over while they are under your roof so you can see if they are abusing it.

ItsaJOB
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

At 16, we were paying our daughter's cell phone bill.  That meant, we had control over its use, as well.  At that age, kids don't really have a concept of 'time' and their misuse of it becomes apparent when they stay up way too late, thus having quite a foggy head for classes in school.  We ALWAYS took our daughters cell phone away by 10:30 every night during the week (if her grades were suffering, it would be removed at an earlier time, so that she had 'quiet' time to study).  Weekends, (Friday/Saturday) nights, she could have it until curfew (midnight).  It wasn't until she was a senior that she started paying for her own phone, and at that time, we let her take control of it.  She would be off and out of our home within the next year so had better learn to manage it then.  And.....they do NOT have to charge their phone in their room. That's just an excuse to have it throughout the night...nor do they need it as an alarm clock to get up!

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM

we have no restrictions or "curfews" on my teens  electronics as long as it does not interfere with them going to school. The only time I have an issue is when it distracts my dd during HW. she's up past midnight most nights doing HW as it is.  So if i see her constantly on her phone during HW time i take it until the HW is done. But only when I notice she's on the phone more than HW.

My 12 year old I take her phone by 11 if she's not asleep.  Most nights she's asleep long before then but I found her up to 2 am on several occasions so the phone gets put on charge at 11pm the latest on weeknights 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)