Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom wearing a jacket isn't cool.

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM
  • 23 Replies
So I'm not sure if this is jus my 12 year old son,
it has been lil chilly out here in Texas,and my son still wants to wear shorts and doesn't think he needs a jacket and gloves,I joke with him that, is it not cool to wear a jacket? he says yes mom it's not cool, and he says he isn't cold.
Do your teens do this?
And do u think it is worth the fight to make them wear their cold weather gear?
Weather here in Tx-
in the morning it's around 33 then later n the day it may get up to 55 or 60.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Not worth the battle.  If they are cold enough they will wear a coat.  We used to live in GA.  Mine never wore coats.  Just sweat shirts.  They were in grade school at the time. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the UglyAlso discuss the new Bates family show. 

mama0106
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:35 AM
I totally agree 👊
And yea my son does wear his hoodie,so I guess that is better then nothing

Quoting atlmom2:

Not worth the battle.  If they are cold enough they will wear a coat.  We used to live in GA.  Mine never wore coats.  Just sweat shirts.  They were in grade school at the time. 

sharonrena
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Not really worth it.  I have an 11 yr old and he is indoors most days at school.  He wears a light jacket or a hoodie if the highs are in the 40-50's.  He never wears his coat unless it snows and he is out in it playing.  He also never wears gloves to school. 

Maime13
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm in Ohio, so 55 or 60 is t-shirt weather for a lot of people here. LOL  A hoodie is fine.

I don't fight with my kids about outerwear once they are over 10yo. They know their bodies and if they get cold enough, they'll put something on. Most kids are literally going from the house to the car/bus, into school and then back home again. They aren't exposed to the elements long enough to get cold.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:14 PM

i gave up and stopped fighting with my dd about her coat. we live around the corner from her school so she doesnt want to have to take a coat that she'll have to carry around with her all day which makes sense. she literally only wears a light sweater.  She spends about 2 minutes max walking to and from school and if she doesnt want to drag a coat around I don't make her.

My older two each have about an hours travel to and from school my son has a longer walk to the subway  than dd but she has to take a subway and a bus so they are out in the freezing temps alot longer.  they dress appropaitly for the temperture.

drfink
by Emily on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Texas here also.Gave up a while back.My senior decided several years ago shorts were the way to go almost every day.He will have his heavy Letterman jacket on with shorts lol SMH ,his junior brother will wear jeans and even a jacket occasionally.

I decided when my senior was a freshman if he  wanted to be cold in shorts they are his legs turning blue .We do have a with mom and dad rule ...for church ,going to dinner he wears weather appropriate bottoms.

It is a guy thing ,when I drove carpool with my daughter there were brothers ....one wore shorts everyday even with frost on the grass , the other dressed weather appropriate.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I'm in Ohio. I  walked my dd down to her bus stop today in a t-shirt. She had on a coat, gloves, and ear muffs. But I just had on sweats, boots, and a t-shirt. It was 13 degrees this morning.... So no I wouldn't fight with him.. Especially if I lived in a warmer state like TX. Your jacket weather is our t-shirt weather.

cybcm
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM
I'm not wearing a coat in that weather either.

They're old enough to dress themselves.
5areEnough
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in Texas.  My sons are 18 and 20 now but I did go through that same thing with my second son.  He never wore a jacket for several years.  I was humiliated when I started getting offers for help from the school because they thought we couldn't afford a coat for him.  The fact was that he had 2 coats at home that he would never wear. ............ Anyway, It is not unusual.  I've seen it with other kids too.

Try to get him to wear one but don't stress about it.  It's not uncommon for boys  not to wear.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM
Not worth fighting..
Natural consequences. If he is cold, it is on him.

That said, you need a comma in the title. I thought your DS was telling you it was uncool for mom to wear a jacket. Ummm.. Not his to say what you wear. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)