Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby is turning 18....

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I have 5 kids...& the oldest one will be 18 on February 18th. I'm a "young" mom. I'm only 35, 36 in August. So...where did the time go? It seems like just yesterday I was a baby having a baby. Not a smart thing to do, but I did it & I made it & I think I did an OK job. I'm not a perfect mother, by any means but he's got a good head on his shoulders (for the most part...) he's smart, he's graduating in June & has somewhat of a plan for what happens after that. But I swear he was just a chubby-cheeked 2 year old with the darkest brown eyes & the cutest little smile. Now he's...a man. I'm so not prepared for this. He wasn't suppose to grow up! One minute I think I'm OK with it & the next I'm freaking out. He's GRADUATING! I had an easier time with him losing his virginity! Does/has anyone else ever felt this way? It's not like he's an only child...my youngest is 10 so I'm by no means going to be an empty nester but this is hitting me hard. My mom says it's because he's my first. Ordering his graduation package was a very emotional moment for me. I don't know, I feel weird about it, like maybe I'm strange. My cousin has a 19 yr old daughter who now has 2 kids & she seems totally Ok with it. The THOUGHT of grandkids makes me break out in hives! Yes he has a serious girlfriend but they're smart & SO not taking that route, thank god! He doesn't even like kids at this point in his life which makes me happy...seriously. Lol. So I just wanted to get that off my chest & I thought this would be a good forum to do so. Thanks for listening. 😊

He's the one in the front.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Maime13
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:54 PM

I feel your pain! My oldest will be 18 in March. He graduated last year and it was really tough on me. It was so surreal that I existed in a state of denial about him actually leaving for college. It just didn't seem possible that my little string bean wasn't in high school anymore!

And grandkids?!? Heck no!! I don't even want to think about that for another 8-10 years!

I have 4 kids and my youngest is 12. It really is something about your first "baby" that makes it harder, I think. But who knows? It'll probably be just as tough with all of them!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I was happy when mine graduated.  I enjoyed all the different stages in life.  My youngest is turning 21 and planning her wedding.  Her moving away will be hard but I moved away the day after I married so why not her. 

I am 53 and sure hope I am not a grandma will near 60. 

Awesome pic!!!! 

iwashere
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:32 PM

I spent the entire Spring sememster of my son's senior year crying over commercials that showed graduation, pinterest graduation party ideas and any tpye of Facebook post about my friend's kids and gradutation. Oh, and every time a notice came from the school about senior activiies, I watered up.

So yeah, I feel you.

I would love to tell you that it gets easier. But I sobbed like a baby all the way home from college drop off. So sit next to me sister, and I'll bring the kleenex. LOL

my2kidsmom9498
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:48 PM
I know it flies! Just enjoy the ride, because there is no stopping it! My oldest us turning 21, that seems wired too.
lisa12121
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My "baby" is also 18 and away at college. I gave up looking at him as my chubby faced sweetie when he got hairy, smelly, and grew a thick beard. I am proud to have such a wonderful young man (not baby) as my son and I thrill in all the opportunities ahead of him. I am not generally someone who looks back on those younger days wistfully. Time really does fly. You'll be sad, you'll cry (we all do), but sit back and admire the wonderful young man you've brought into the world. I cried at prom, I cried at graduation, and I cried when we left after dropping him off at college. Totally normal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)