Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smoking weed while babysitting?!?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM
  • 92 Replies
Hello, I am having a huge dilemma with my 17 year old DD and a neighborhood friend that she was babysitting for. My DD had been babysitting for a little boy (5) and a little girl (3) for a few weeks now and today I got a call from the mom saying that she caught my DD smoking a joint on a hidden nanny camera. I don't know what I am more upset about, my DD smoking pot around children that she is babysitting for in someone else's home, or the fact that this woman was recording my DD without my consent. I am worried that this lady will go to the police because she sounded very upset. I have talked to my DD in the past about smoking weed and we discussed boundaries and that she is NOT allowed to do it at our house but if she was gonna do it, she must be safe. But now I lost a lot of trust for my DD and I don't know how to handle this. Please help
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame4c
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:20 PM
6 moms liked this
Your upset she was recording your child? It was a nanny cam used to verify her kid was being taken care of properly. She has every right to go to the police and you should prepare your DD for that fact. She can be charged with child endangerment along with the drug charges that could possibly come out of this.

Your DD needs a rude awakening and she will be extremely lucky if she doesn't get arrested over this. If I was the lady I wouldn't of bothered to give you a call. I would have called the cops first.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Your kid was wrong. That is the one and only person you need to be mad at. A person can record in their home all they want. I would be livid with my kid. I would get her in a drug awareness program. Weed today is way more potent than it was 30 years ago too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Did you seriously say you are upset your dd was being recorded?? I would have my dd's ass for doing something so stupid and irresponsible. Smoking weed is bad. Doing it in someone else's home while they have entrusted her with the care of their small children who could have been harmed from your dd's actions is  beyond bad. It's inexcusable, insulting, and she should be held accountable.

I hope that both you and your dd have apologized to this woman. I hope you are ready for the backlash of this woman letting all your neighbors and everyone in her social circle know what your dd has done. You are lucky all this woman did was call you because I would have been at your door step or called you from the police station.

suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:58 AM

they women is 100% right to record child care you dau needs some help good luck 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly.  Kids today need to know we are being recorded all the time, every day. I would have just gone to the police too.  This Mom is lucky they contacted her.  I guess her dd won't be babysitting for anyone ever again. 

Quoting Sydel:

Did you seriously say you are upset your dd was being recorded?? I would have my dd's ass for doing something so stupid and irresponsible. Smoking weed is bad. Doing it in someone else's home while they have entrusted her with the care of their small children who could have been harmed from your dd's actions is  beyond bad. It's inexcusable, insulting, and she should be held accountable.

I hope that both you and your dd have apologized to this woman. I hope you are ready for the backlash of this woman letting all your neighbors and everyone in her social circle know what your dd has done. You are lucky all this woman did was call you because I would have been at your door step or called you from the police station.

katydon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM
We both went over to her house last night and my DD apologized. The lady showed us the recording and my DD wasn't smoking anywhere near the children. I understand that what she did was bad, but she did not put the children in danger.

Quoting Sydel:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM

OMG, I just shake my head.  You are still condoning your teenager smoking pot,  AND in someone elses home while babysitting.  SO much wrong with your thinking.  I can't believe it.  Your dd shouldn't be smoking pot ANYWHERE.  No matter if it is legal in your state, it isn't legal for any teenagers to smoke pot in any state for recreational use.  Anyone smoking anywhere near kids is awful.  I don't care who you are. 

Quoting katydon: We both went over to her house last night and my DD apologized. The lady showed us the recording and my DD wasn't smoking anywhere near the children. I understand that what she did was bad, but she did not put the children in danger.
Quoting Sydel:

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not the type of person to attack another or judge their parenting. But for you to suggest your dd did  not put those children in danger is a joke. It doesn't matter if she was smoking in front of them or before she showed up. Weed impairs your judgement. Who knows what it was laced with. Don't say it wasn't because you have no idea unless you grew it  yourself and are her dealer.

Caring for small children while your judgement and ability to think and react is impaired put those kids into danger.  What if one of them got hurt would she have been able to respond quickly and with a clean head?

Do you watch the news? Have you ever researched the numerous cases where children have been hurt and family members charged because they were high?

Quoting katydon: We both went over to her house last night and my DD apologized. The lady showed us the recording and my DD wasn't smoking anywhere near the children. I understand that what she did was bad, but she did not put the children in danger.
Quoting Sydel:

katydon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM
I am not condoning her smoking pot. Like I said, I have discussed boundaries with her. We have talked about being safe. Same with alcohol. She is going to be 18 next month and is going to college next fall. I am my going to have control over her then so I feel that being open with her and talking to her about safety is more beneficial than trying to restrict her and her doing it behind my back. I'm not saying that what she did while babysitting is okay, but me being open with her about smoking pot has nothing to do with this situation. This situation was her making a very poor choice and I am going to have a long talk with her about it.

Quoting atlmom2:

OMG, I just shake my head.  You are still condoning your teenager smoking pot,  AND in someone elses home while babysitting.  SO much wrong with your thinking.  I can't believe it.  Your dd shouldn't be smoking pot ANYWHERE.  No matter if it is legal in your state, it isn't legal for any teenagers to smoke pot in any state for recreational use.  Anyone smoking anywhere near kids is awful.  I don't care who you are. 

Quoting Sydel:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM
I think condoning anything illegal is wrong. My dd is in college. We talked about not doing it not being safe and getting around it being illegal. We have 2 different mindsets I guess. I would not condone pot if my dd was 30.

Quoting katydon: I am not condoning her smoking pot. Like I said, I have discussed boundaries with her. We have talked about being safe. Same with alcohol. She is going to be 18 next month and is going to college next fall. I am my going to have control over her then so I feel that being open with her and talking to her about safety is more beneficial than trying to restrict her and her doing it behind my back. I'm not saying that what she did while babysitting is okay, but me being open with her about smoking pot has nothing to do with this situation. This situation was her making a very poor choice and I am going to have a long talk with her about it.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Sydel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)