Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PTO vs Student Council vs DJ

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'll try to sum this up. Student Council hosted a dance last month. PTO had nothing to do with the planning or hosting of said dance. During the dance the DJ downloaded multiple songs from iTunes as the kids requested them. My PTO Treasurer just emailed me the DJ's receipts saying she's friends with the DJ and believes we the PTO should cut him a check.

I disagree. He is a DJ he was paid a fee by Student Council for his services. All the songs he downloaded were new songs  you would expect a DJ to have. They are now his forever to use at future events. I think that he should eat the cost or that Student Council should pay him. 

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
If he negotiated a fee, and that fee was paid, he is not due anything else. That is the point of a contract. Same as if he performed at a wedding or any other party.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Right! So coming back weeks later with iTune receipts seems ridiculous. When she (treasurer) forwarded them to me I saw that the email came from the DJ's partner possibly wife (a female with his last name).

Quoting sabrtooth1: If he negotiated a fee, and that fee was paid, he is not due anything else. That is the point of a contract. Same as if he performed at a wedding or any other party.

Maime13
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:12 PM

This DJ is an adult?

At first I thought you were talking about a teen and I was going to cut him some slack and say reimburse him once but explain your stance and that it won't happen again.

However, an adult should be able to grasp the concept of being paid to do the job and being responsible for having the materials necessary to perform the task. Since he owns the music and is free to use it for other jobs, it is his expense. If he were only able to use them when DJ'ing for your school, it would be a different matter.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Yes the DJ is an adult and he does other jobs. I'm looking up the songs from the two emails I received and I hope he got the clean versions. No where on the iTunes email does it state if it was the edited version or not.

Quoting Maime13:

This DJ is an adult?

At first I thought you were talking about a teen and I was going to cut him some slack and say reimburse him once but explain your stance and that it won't happen again.

However, an adult should be able to grasp the concept of being paid to do the job and being responsible for having the materials necessary to perform the task. Since he owns the music and is free to use it for other jobs, it is his expense. If he were only able to use them when DJ'ing for your school, it would be a different matter.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM

The contract should have been clear that if there were other songs the cost could go up.  OR he could have said he didn't have that song in his music and to pick another song. 

Personally, a decent DJ should have all the popular songs the kids might request. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Typically, the DJ gives the client his playlist BEFORE the contract is signed, and they have the opportunity to reject songs they don't like, and add songs they want, that might not be on the list.  That is also a way to see how current, and concientious he is.  No one wants filthy rap songs to be heard by EITHER their kids or their 80 yo grandmas.  On the other hand, my dd and her husband, did NOT want Hokey Pokey, The Chicken Dance or the Electric Slide, and they DID want some Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Billy Joel selections that might not be in a current repertory.

It should have been the responsibility of the teacher/mentor of the Student Council to review and approve the playlist.  Was that done?

lisa12121
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM

DJ should eat it. That is what a DJ does. Worst case scenario, student council should pay extra money. PTO not affiliated and not responsible.

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 15, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I have NO idea what the Student Council advisor did. There is no need for the PTO to be involved with this at all. We did not host the dance. We had nothing to do with the dance. A few parents helped chaperone but I don't see how that means we are now responsible for paying a DJ for a dance we had nothing to do with.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Typically, the DJ gives the client his playlist BEFORE the contract is signed, and they have the opportunity to reject songs they don't like, and add songs they want, that might not be on the list.  That is also a way to see how current, and concientious he is.  No one wants filthy rap songs to be heard by EITHER their kids or their 80 yo grandmas.  On the other hand, my dd and her husband, did NOT want Hokey Pokey, The Chicken Dance or the Electric Slide, and they DID want some Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Billy Joel selections that might not be in a current repertory.

It should have been the responsibility of the teacher/mentor of the Student Council to review and approve the playlist.  Was that done?

Sydel
by Group Admin on Jan. 15, 2015 at 2:40 PM

I agree. I think the treasurer paid him. I seemed to be the only one with an issue.

Quoting atlmom2:

The contract should have been clear that if there were other songs the cost could go up.  OR he could have said he didn't have that song in his music and to pick another song. 

Personally, a decent DJ should have all the popular songs the kids might request. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Quoting Sydel:

I have NO idea what the Student Council advisor did. There is no need for the PTO to be involved with this at all. We did not host the dance. We had nothing to do with the dance. A few parents helped chaperone but I don't see how that means we are now responsible for paying a DJ for a dance we had nothing to do with.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I did not mean that the PTO should pay the DJ.  I am saying the teacher who leads the Student Council may have abdicated their responsibility.  In any event, any problem with the payment of the DJ is the responsibility of whoever engaged him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)