Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Plans

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:56 AM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: How many weeks are they enrolled in an activity?

Options:

1 - 2 weeks

3 - 4 weeks

5 - 6 weeks

7+ weeks

none

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

I'm curious.

How many weeks do you plan something (camp or other activity) for your teen during the summer vs letting them hang around the house? And if it's not a camp what are they doing?

I'm always trying to find a balance.

We are a two parent working household. When they were little we used to do full time camps every week. Now they can stay at home by themselves but I still like to plan a few things for them to do. There are no kids their age on the street and their friends are limited.  If they were at home they would spend 10 weeks on the computer.

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame4c
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:08 AM
My kids are only allowed on the internet so many hours. However I have one teen that never leaves his bedroom except to go to work and eat. He playsfootball during the school yr but during the summer he is a lazy bum. He sometimes goes to see his mother because she lets him do whatever and doesn't make him do chores. But he never stays over there long.

The other two teens find things to do. One has been mowing grass since he was 10 and makes pretty good money doing it. He is 19 now and works. He will start college in the fall. He also played rugby during the summer.

My daughter who is 15 has a pool pass and spends time with her friends at the pool at least 2 days a week. She also babysits at the church and attends a week long church camp.

I also give the kids daily chores to keep them some what busy. It helps with the house work some too.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:23 AM

My dd will be doing 6 weeks of band camp and 2-3 weeks of a school sponsored camp, and she usually does something at the Y (1-2 weeks of cheer or volleyball).  She usually swims during the summer but I agreed to let her take a break since she will be training for cross country instead. She twirls in parades and will be interning at an amusement park this year.

I work within walking distance of our house so on the days I know she's doing nothing but binging on Netflix I call her and invite her to walk to my office. Then I send her to the library (also in walking distance). She usually has lunch with me a few times during the week as well.

My 7 year old attends a church camp in June and July then switches to a school sponsored camp in August. I feel a little guilty that she never gets to sleep during the weekdays but she doesn't seem to mind.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM
We were never a two working person household. I would see if there was something they were intently interested in… Otherwise We just found our own fun. I don't believe over scheduling children, however I do understand that when there is no adult at home it is wise to have something planned. However, I think you need to do what is best for your family and it really doesn't depend on what others do. Some children can handle the responsibility of being alone at home and some cannot. I know that when I was 15 and my mother went back to work, I took full advantage to be as naughty as I could. Other children might be more responsible and be able to handle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegAbMama
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:16 PM

I sign my kids up for whatever 'camps' they are interested in doing.  There are some great ones like STEM camp, etc.  For the time they are home alone, I leave them chore lists which include regular chores but also things like: play a game together, watch a movie you both like, etc.  I also include homework type stuff like specific computer time/website for math practice, or typing practice, 30 minutes reading, etc.  I don't go too crazy with the homework thing, but just enough to keep the practice up.  Kids do get bored in the summer and they can sit and watch 8 hrs tv straight if you let them.  They can handle a few responsibilities and still get plenty of lazy time too.

Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 7:33 AM

My kids rarely went to camp.  My oldest - never, my middle went twice for a month - once to Johns Hopkins, once to Italy, my youngest for a week to Boy Scout camps. I am off in the summer, so I made sure that they were busy.  Since I work full time throughout the school year, I have always been happy to have time for my kids in the summer.

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Thanks.

Being a two working family stinks in the summer!  I'm envious of those who have flexibility. We used to do full day camps every week except for a few vacation weeks.

Now out of a 11 week summer I have 4 1/2 weeks of camp, 1 week of vacation and 5 1/2 weeks of staying at home. I'm thinking of adding one more camp. When they aren't at camp I give them things to do also but I can't schedule out their entire day. There is too much time to kill. I wouldn't mind a year round school calendar.

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Both of my teens are applying for summer internships.
DS just had an interview with Lockheed for a paid internship. I just hope he gets it because I can tell how much he wants this. I'm hoping that his internship from last year helps.

DD is applying to a scientific research program at the University of Wyoming. It is very similar to her scientific research class that she's taken for the past 3 semesters. She wants to go into medical research, so this should be perfect.

Carmel63
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 7:57 PM

My 15 year old will have two weeks of camp away, and one week of a programming class at a local university.

When my daughter was a teen she had camps and activities all summer.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2015 at 3:47 AM
We only have a 6 week holiday.
So once he has been shipped to Germany for a fortnight, and we have been on a family holiday for about 2 weeks that only leaves you with two weeks.
He has always just been left to his own devices and has been since he was about 11.
awbredux
by Allie on Mar. 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM

After family vacation, visits to both grandparents (both girls get to do this for a week without family, often with a cousin of similar age), cheerleading camp and church camp, my teen will have a week and parts of two others unscheduled.  Much of that time she'll be at the pool we belong to.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)