Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you attend Parent Orientation with your college freshman?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:31 PM
  • 24 Replies

I signed Dd18 up for freshman orientation in June. There is a parent orientation at the same time. It is separate from the student orientation but there is some interaction between the two over the three days. DD said she's heard the parent orientation is a waste of time and money (it will cost me about $250 to go). However, lately she has started to let me know she's getting really nervous about leaving home. Her college is 4.5 hours away. Last night she was actually in tears talking about it. So I'm torn--better to send her on her own to orientation, so she knows she can do it and hopefully will gain confidence about leaving in the fall? Or better to go with her to orientation so she's not so stressed out? We won't have her drive all alone--Her dad or I will drive her if we can't find someone for her to carpool with. Thoughts? What did/would you do?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I went to another country for university. No parent orientation. But my dad and step mum just moved me in on welcome weekend, stayed in the city that weekend and then flew back home.
Honestly I wouldn't go to any parent orientation.
What does it entail anyway?
Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I would go but that's just me. I'm also in helicopter mom recovery so... probably not the best person to listen too. LOL

gabyangy
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I went with all my three kids.  I thought it was worth it and the college is six hours away from us.  With the last one I was like I don't need to go but I did. 

They actually make it fun for the parents.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd's orientation was at drop off so it was easy and all parents went.  They had a welcome convocation at the arena for parents and kids.  Then later we went to the business school alone for a meeting for parents of kids in the business school.  That was all we went to.  It is a Catholic college so the next day they had a mass but we skipped it and got dd and went to Walmart of the rest of her things and some food and then we dropped her back off at the dorm and left.  Our dd is 7 hours away and loves being away.  We actually have always texted once a week or less and talk every few weeks.  We are always the parents that want their kids to not depend on parents and make decisions themselves.  I have talked to her a couple times this week but she was informing me about some phone interviews for summer internships.  That was the only reason.  

cybcm
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:24 PM
There isn't anything like that here.

That sounds a little odd to me, I feel that by the time they're tertiary education aged, school is their business, not mine.
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Go with her. She needs you. You need that moment when you leave your little girl that the two of you will never forget.
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Very common in the states.

Quoting cybcm: There isn't anything like that here.

That sounds a little odd to me, I feel that by the time they're tertiary education aged, school is their business, not mine.
Sydel
by Group Admin on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm just really really nosey. I can't say that I would want to go so much for her but because I have interest in the campus and how things are run.  Most colleges do a separate orientation for the parents and the students. So it's not like you are walking around with them.

I know a lot of parents who have gone to them. It's much different than primary school. I don't expect to meet her teachers or see the syllabus.

Plus if you have a kid playing sports it's nice to have inside information like how to get your hands on season or discounted tickets.

Quoting cybcm: There isn't anything like that here. That sounds a little odd to me, I feel that by the time they're tertiary education aged, school is their business, not mine.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Most colleges have freshman orientation for parents.

Quoting cybcm: There isn't anything like that here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iwashere
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I went. I felt it was beneficial for a few reasons. First, the school doesn't contact parents at all. So getting a list of payment deadlines, miscellaneous requirements etc., helped a lot. I was also able to see a dorm room. We had toured so many schools, they all shmooshed together in my head by the time ds decided on a college, so it was helpful to see again what was provided and what was needed. I also met other parents, which was nice.

The school also provided insight into the stress college kids go through today and how to help them through it. Honestly? It's been a long time since I was on a college campus and things have changed. 

I did have to revisit the horror of a lunch catered by the dining commons though. *shudders*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)