Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those of you with kids in college or have gone thru the process

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:58 AM
  • 16 Replies

So my dd is starting to narrow down her choices and she wanted me to ask you guys if any of you have a child in or perhaps visited or basically know anything about that is not on their website.

Ithica College

Brown

Hamilton College

Syracuse universtiy

Union College

Trinity College

Boston university

Boston College

university of Rochester

Amherst

ANY SUNY  oswego, purchase , Buffalo,plattsburg,Albany

Skidmore

North Eastern or NorthWestern

Vassar

Randoph Macon

Yale 

and Tufts

by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maime13
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:58 AM

College Prowler, which I believe might be called Niche now, is a useful resource for some student insight.

I'd also recommend checking out the school Yik Yak "pages" (that is not the correct terminology, LOL)  to get a feel for the culture. The Yak's are mostly just kids showing off for each other, but there are at times things that are relevant to student life on campus and issues that the kids care about.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I don't know anything about any of those colleges.  We live in the midwest.  We have lived in Syracuse before and yes, it is a very good school but we hated living there because we hate snow.  Found people not that nice either moving from the midwest to the NE.  

Msgme
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Quoting Maime13:

College Prowler, which I believe might be called Niche now, is a useful resource for some student insight.

I'd also recommend checking out the school Yik Yak "pages" (that is not the correct terminology, LOL)  to get a feel for the culture. The Yak's are mostly just kids showing off for each other, but there are at times things that are relevant to student life on campus and issues that the kids care about.

Thanks  Super helpfull

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM

hubs went to BU for law school and LOVED it.  But there is no real central campus feel.  my son didnt like the campus at all.  hubs said it is ultra competitive in a very new yorky jewish way.  (no offence to anyone.  if you live there or know the culture you will understand the reference) Hubs LOVED living in Boston!!!

my son toured Boston College and LOVED the campus.  We have family friends who had both daughters attend and they both loved it.  I also hear the dorms are getting fixed up soon, or perhaps already.... they needed it.

Hubs graduated from Suny Albany.  FRICKEN COLD.  He liked it ok.

We know people who went to: tuffs, yale, brown... never really asked them about the experience.  But they are all doing well.

My cousin lives near Northwestern... nice campus, pretty area.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM

I don't know anything about those universities (wrong side of the atlantic) but I did do a stint in Providence (at the other big college in the city). I really liked the city, a lot. 

Msgme
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:47 PM
I do get the reference. My dd is thinking boston will be the type of atmosphere she's used to while being far enough away to feel independent. We do plan on touring this spring and summer but not sure we can go see all of them so she has to narrow it down a lol more.

Quoting sahlady:

hubs went to BU for law school and LOVED it.  But there is no real central campus feel.  my son didnt like the campus at all.  hubs said it is ultra competitive in a very new yorky jewish way.  (no offence to anyone.  if you live there or know the culture you will understand the reference) Hubs LOVED living in Boston!!!

my son toured Boston College and LOVED the campus.  We have family friends who had both daughters attend and they both loved it.  I also hear the dorms are getting fixed up soon, or perhaps already.... they needed it.

Hubs graduated from Suny Albany.  FRICKEN COLD.  He liked it ok.

We know people who went to: tuffs, yale, brown... never really asked them about the experience.  But they are all doing well.

My cousin lives near Northwestern... nice campus, pretty area.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:57 PM

which boston?  BC or BU? Personally I LOVE Boston!  How far are you?  travel is a consideration too.  From where we live to where my oldest goes to school there are no direct flights and then it is an hour taxi ride from the airport to her school.  At least in Boston there is a major airport and trains!

Quoting Msgme: I do get the reference. My dd is thinking boston will be the type of atmosphere she's used to while being far enough away to feel independent. We do plan on touring this spring and summer but not sure we can go see all of them so she has to narrow it down a lol more.

Msgme
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:14 PM
I'm in NYC so it's easy.She doesn't drive and doesn't see herself with a car anytime soon but greyhound is cheap between nyc and boston. She's thinking BU more than BC cause BC is a lil more conservative than she's used to. At least from what she's read.

Quoting sahlady:

which boston?  BC or BU? Personally I LOVE Boston!  How far are you?  travel is a consideration too.  From where we live to where my oldest goes to school there are no direct flights and then it is an hour taxi ride from the airport to her school.  At least in Boston there is a major airport and trains!

Quoting Msgme: I do get the reference. My dd is thinking boston will be the type of atmosphere she's used to while being far enough away to feel independent. We do plan on touring this spring and summer but not sure we can go see all of them so she has to narrow it down a lol more.

sahlady
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM

that was actually one of my son's concerns... that BC would be to homogeneous.  we live in a VERY open and diverse area.  if she is used to a city then BU might be a good fit.

Quoting Msgme: I'm in NYC so it's easy.She doesn't drive and doesn't see herself with a car anytime soon but greyhound is cheap between nyc and boston. She's thinking BU more than BC cause BC is a lil more conservative than she's used to. At least from what she's read.
Quoting sahlady:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Collegeconfidential.com is a great resource for getting a better feel for the schools. I have a friend who went to Northwestern and another who went to SUNY-Purchase, if she has any specific questions I'd be happy to ask them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)