Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need lunch ideas

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:00 PM
  • 19 Replies
My daughter takes her lunch (she's 16). I need some ideas to spice up her lunches. She doesn't want sandwiches or salads all the time.
It has to be something that will tolerate heat, no air conditioning (hawaii)and be able to fit into her backpack.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:29 PM
We do a lot of pasta salad. (Does that counts as a salad?). Also summer sausage, cheese and crackers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:36 PM
I usually do green salads with chicken, stuff like that. Pasta would be a nice change though. I'll ask her.
A lot of the kids go to Pho's kitchen and get a box lunch. Rice,noodles,different meats and tempura shrimp. Kind of a bento box thing.
Their school lunches suck. Even the kitchen manager hates them.
Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 1:15 AM

I thought kids in Hawaii just claimed the palms and ate coconuts and pineapples for lunch.  LOL

Our kids (who got married on a beach in Oahu) brown bagged because they got to keep the money saved over school cafeteria lunches.  The school had microwaves and they put a 18 ounce bottle of frozen water in the cooler to keep whatever they took cool until lunch.  This gives you a wider selection of choices.

proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 3:00 AM
You know how much work it is to open a coconut? Lol.
I suggested wraps,she said that's the same as a sandwich. Tomorrow she's getting fried chicken strips.
She said the kaluha pork and cabbage is good at school. I see lots of kids buying musubi from 7-Eleven.
cybcm
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 4:21 AM
Sorry to just drop a link, but this website is my favourite. It is Australian though so all the measurements are metric and there may be some products/ingredients unavailable, but there are hundreds of ideas.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/lunch+box+ideas/1?ref=collections,lunch-box-ideas

We usually have zucchini slice and frittata in the freezer for when we are running low on time/resources to pack lunch, in individual portions, take them out in the morning and they are defrosted by lunch.
proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 4:30 AM
Thank you for the link. I just browsed through it. Looks like a lot of yummy stuff!
Msgme
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM

my dd gets most of food from 7-11   when she does bring from home she prefers wraps to sandwiches alot of hummis and pita. or tuna flat bred sandwiches  (she brings along mayonaise packets for the tuna.   Soups in a thermos   cut up veggies and she brings a bottle of dressing lol.  she's the kid in math class pulling out some veggies and a bottle of dressing at her desk.  she'll eat alot of salads too but changes it up some chicken salad, greek salad, green salad, pasta salad etc....

Maime13
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I feel your pain. DD's school has no cafeteria and they don't even have a microwave to heat things up. DS#2's school has no cafeteria but at least they get a microwave. DS#3 packs everyday because the catering company that does his school's food is ridiculously priced (it's a la carte food items). He too has microwave access though.

Sometimes they take leftover from the previous nights dinner. Cold fried chicken, a rice bowl...that sort of thing. Wraps or burritos with a cold pack. Assorted fruits sometimes sliced (like strawberry or kiwi, for example), sometimes not (Clementines, bananas, apples, etc). Nuts. Prepackaged granola/Luna type bars.

Sorry, not too inspiring. LOL 

proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM
Quoting Maime13:

I feel your pain. DD's school has no cafeteria and they don't even have a microwave to heat things up. DS#2's school has no cafeteria but at least they get a microwave. DS#3 packs everyday because the catering company that does his school's food is ridiculously priced (it's a la carte food items). He too has microwave access though.

Sometimes they take leftover from the previous nights dinner. Cold fried chicken, a rice bowl...that sort of thing. Wraps or burritos with a cold pack. Assorted fruits sometimes sliced (like strawberry or kiwi, for example), sometimes not (Clementines, bananas, apples, etc). Nuts. Prepackaged granola/Luna type bars.

Sorry, not too inspiring. LOL 

They have no cafeteria? Wow.
Today she has homemade fried chicken strips and fried okra. Carrot sticks/ranch dressing,a tiger milk bar and a cutie.
Thermos of soup is an idea except it would weigh her backpack down more. They have no lockers. So everything has to be lugged around all day. Then add a sports bag too...
proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM
Quoting Msgme:

my dd gets most of food from 7-11   when she does bring from home she prefers wraps to sandwiches alot of hummis and pita. or tuna flat bred sandwiches  (she brings along mayonaise packets for the tuna.   Soups in a thermos   cut up veggies and she brings a bottle of dressing lol.  she's the kid in math class pulling out some veggies and a bottle of dressing at her desk.  she'll eat alot of salads too but changes it up some chicken salad, greek salad, green salad, pasta salad etc....

My daughter grazes in her classes too. I've offered tuna but she won't take it. I've thought of pita sandwiches.
I even offered to make her a bento box with rice dressed up as little pigs. She said no. It was adorable. She said some kids bring fried rice so I sent her with leftover chinese. I guess it doesn't really taste good cold.
The chocolate covered strawberries were a hit though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)